Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2002, 08:36 PM   #1
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Does Silmarillion get more entertaining as it progresses?

Ahh... maybe its just GRONK, but reading this book seems like reading a dictionary. GRONK thought the hobbit and LOTR trilogy were good, but he can't even start this book. As it progresses does it get more interesting, or if the start of the book is too much for GRONK should he drop it?
GRONK!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 08:54 PM   #2
entss89
lord of the ents

i totaly agree with you i could not finish it because i was in bore city so i just thrue it in my trashcan! i guess some day over the rainbow i will try to read it? (maybe)!
entss89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:05 PM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

yeah it isn't very entertaining (well maybe just for Real Addicts who just want to read it for information on middle earth and knowledge, not really to be entertained). Although some parts are very good, I especially loved the tale of Turin Turambar (now reading in Unfinished Tales... much better!) and the last 2 chaps where it got to stuff I was familiar with (i.e. sauron's beginnings and pre-lotr workings of sauron). The Unfinished Tales and Histories I find to be much more... emotional since they go in to the characters more.

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 10-07-2002 at 09:06 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #4
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

I think that the Silmarillion is hard the first time you read it. I know it was for me, and it was a virtual struggle to force myself to continue. After I reached the chapter of Beren and Luthien, I knew it was well worth it and it was much smoother going to the end. Also, it awoke a great interest in the First Age for me and made me really thirst for more knowledge of the Elves and that time period. But for the Silmarillion, I would have never picked up any of the HoMe books, and they have so much to offer. All my reads of the Silmarillion after the first one was for enjoyment and appreciation of the poetic narrative that Tolkien uses, and sure the Sil is a narrative, but in all that, are some beautiful and sad stories to be read.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #5
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Hmm... not sure bout this. GRONK liked LoTR and Hobbit a lot because they were good stories but hes not exactly fascinated by learning every little detail about elves and hobbits. If GRONK was to skip through Silmarillion to the stories that sound more entertaining would he lose anything in the process?
Old 10-08-2002, 04:28 PM   #6
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Hi GRONK! I see you're new, so let me say "Welcome", too, and I hope you like it here.

There's a similar discussion going on in a thread in this forum called "ok am i the only one who........" and you might want to look over there. Some of us who have read the Sil several times have talked about some helpful things to do while reading it, and there are several first-time readers currently going through it and talking about their thoughts. Good luck! I think it is well worth the work, but that is just my opinion - you just may not like it. If you don't, you might want to just keep it in the back of your bookshelf and pull it out again in a few years.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 07:15 PM   #7
Dolenloteiel
I elenfea

Location: Somewhere in the chaos between the first and second ages! (Actually, CO)
I agree with Rian and I read it b/c I'm hooked on LOTR If you get through it, it's well worth reading
Ask me anything
"I have not failed, I've only found 10,000 ways that won't work."
-Thomas Edison
Visit Tolkien RP Site! Need members, RP all three Ages! (UNDER CONSTRUCTION) http://elvellon.suddenlaunch2.com
"Yay, I can hear the voices in my head again!
Dolenloteiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 01:01 AM   #8
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

You definately must continue to read the Sil because it will enhance your understanding of LotR and even the Hobbit. I thoroughly enjoyed the Sil, and found it so interesting. I hope that once you have read it you will read LotR again, and then maybe even the Sil once again! Both books helped me understand the other better. I love the Silmarillion.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:31 AM   #9
Millane
The Dude

does GRONK ALWAYS TALK IN THE THIRD PERSON???
dunno i am still halfway through and started reading the hobbit again... ill get back to it some day... anyways that is all MILLANE!!! has to say..
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:39 AM   #10
Sminty_Smeagol

Hehe.... Sminty thinks Gronk should finish the Silmarillion... even though Sminty kinda zoned out when reading most of it.
Old 10-10-2002, 06:51 AM   #11
Misty Mountain Goat
Hobbit

Treebeard

Hi tom

someone convince me to read this book please
Misty Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 06:54 AM   #12
Millane
The Dude

i accept this challenge misty mountain goat...
READ THE F@#$ING BOOK
Millane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 07:00 AM   #13
Misty Mountain Goat
Hobbit

Treebeard

Bit more insite than that please Millane
Misty Mountain Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 11:05 AM   #14
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

If you don't the true power and depth of LOTR will be unappreciated, as will many parts of the book. And the Sil opens up whole vistas of Middle Earth to exploration.
Old 10-10-2002, 03:24 PM   #15
Sminty_Smeagol

amen!
Old 10-10-2002, 03:34 PM   #16
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Umm... GRONK has the feeling that the areas of LoTR that everyone is saying would be enhanced by the silmarillion are the areas that GRONK never payed much attention to in the first place. GRONK has a bad habit of unconsciously skipping over the really wordy and detailed paragraphs of books. In Silmarillion the whole book seems to be this way. GRONK has nothing else lying around to read though so he might give Silmarillion another try. If Silmarillion doesnt get more interesting though GRONK might just stop reading for a while and devote more time to his favorite hobby, which is hitting things with big sticks.

To be honest though GRONK was hoping that people would try to persuade him to read Silmarillion beacause the stories become more fun, not because the book has a lot of interesting fictional information. This is just GRONKs opinion, but if GRONK wanted to read something for information he'd try picking up his encyclopedia and read that from start to finish. It would be long and boring but at least this way the information given pertains to real life.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:11 PM   #17
Sister Golden Hair
Queen of Nargothrond
Administrator

Wayfarer, I deleted your post. If you wish, you may post again without the flaming.
Sister Golden Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 08:05 PM   #18
GRONK!!!
Hobbit

Thats what flaming is? GRONK thought flaming was when someone threatens to burn someone elses house down. GRONK seriously has to learn his internet lingo... Umm but if flaming is insulting someone then what is it called when someone threatens to burn someone elses house down?
Old 10-10-2002, 08:36 PM   #19
Sminty_Smeagol

watering
Old 10-11-2002, 12:11 AM   #20
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Has GRONK mosied over to the other thread in this forum that I recommended to him yet? (called "ok am i the only one who........" ) Looking thru these 2 threads, I see things like "wonderful", "blows me away", "impossible to put down", "I loved it", "thoroughly enjoyed it", "read it again and again", etc.

Now I don't know that "fun" would be the first word that pops into my head when I think of the Sil, but "beautiful" and "moving" would be up there near the top. If you want "fun", I don't know if the Sil would be your cup of tea. But if you want noble and heroic and beautiful, then keep at it, as many people here have encouraged you to. Keep us posted, and I hope you do come to enjoy it!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-11-2002 at 12:12 AM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote