Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2002, 10:21 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Pop culture

Why do you think pop culture is so popular?

I am aware that I can be a supercillious bastard at times, but most of the entertainment that is produce today is just acerebral and/or trite.

Is that we as a whole are so mundune in our taste?

Are we lulled into a stupor by powers behind the scences?

Any thoughts?

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 10:48 AM   #2
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Pop culture, hmmm....

It seems to me that all societies have things that are popular with a majority of their citizens. These things may be related to religion, political beliefs, ecenomics, etc. In our case, pop culture is related to ecennomics, in that there are things that are popular for a while - fads - , lots and lots of people buy them, and they then become "out of style" or "unpopular." It helps keep the economy going, as you have different companies out there trying to keep up with the latest in pop culture.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 03:03 PM   #3
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Well, yeah. Pretty much. The more people change their mind on what they want, the more they buy, the more money that's made. Then, you have the universal squeaky clean and perfect things/people that everyone wants to see because it allows them to dream of what they'll never have or never be. Pop culture is a superficial, high-above regular human standards world that most people want to be a part of. Or at least that's how I see it.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:14 PM   #4
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Well I think the popular music of today really sucks. How can kids listen to that garbage? I probably only think this because I am a musician and I know what real music should sound like.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:20 PM   #5
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

And what exactly should real music sound like?
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:22 PM   #6
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Pooey. Music is music. People just like different kinds. Pop culture, however, circles less around music and more around what the people making the music look like.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:28 PM   #7
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

And how they jump around n sink with the music.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 06:35 PM   #8
Sween
im quite stupid

i hate it when people get on there high musical horse and start critizing pop music. there is a good reason why it is called pop music and is so high up in the charts and that is because it is popular. and for somthing to be popular it is a pre requisit for it to make people happy. allthough n sync are not really my thing (im more of a........hmmmm lets not go into my music tatse lets just say ive a cd by sumone called lional) i have a little sis who is 6 and she dances about to bands like n sync and s club 7 and she has such a smile on her face its kinda sweet. they must be doing something right the sell out concerts all the time and get high up in the charts.

When it comes to music if it makes ne one happy its allright with me
Old 07-24-2002, 06:38 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Modern music DOES suck. It has no imagination, no originality, and it's all about marketing instead of quality. I'm thoroughly sick of bubblegum pop. And as for pop-culture, the reason it is so popular is because people are sheep, they like to fit in, and follow the herd. I think they also like being mindless. How many tripe movies are being produced these days? (versus) How many movies actually challenge your beliefs? Your mind? When was the last time you saw a movie which actually managed to confuse or make you feel uncomfortable? Look at what movies win academy awards. They're the "safe" ones. Bah! Give me movies, culture, music etc with grit, and originality, which isn't "produced." Ergh.
Old 07-24-2002, 06:41 PM   #10
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

I think pop culture is meant for and made by young people. I really don't pay that much attention to it. Here today, gone tomorrow. It's just a way for young people to have fun, assume an identity, and occupy themselves till they get more serious. (I'm not putting it down, it serves a purpose, of course some young people don't buy into it, it is pretty silly! )

Last edited by Lizra : 07-24-2002 at 06:44 PM.
Lizra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:11 PM   #11
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

yes its all about money and large corporations and whatnot, i mean thats mostly why pop culture exists isn;t it? but why can't people be less sheepish and develop their own opinions, tastes, and decide what they find interesting for themselves? Just because something is extensively promoted doesn't mean we all have to like it (although apparently i am wrong, it does) at least the whole teeny bopper thing seems to be running out of steam. i'll be relieved when n'sync is dead.

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:15 PM   #12
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Shockingly I agree with BOP.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2002, 08:24 PM   #13
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I like the nitty-gritty stuff other people can't handle. A lot of pop culture I see, I don't like. But some of it I do, so I'm pretty neutral I guess.
Old 07-24-2002, 08:34 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
Shockingly I agree with BOP.
Watch it, you'll get sucked into the vortex!
Old 07-24-2002, 11:48 PM   #15
galadriel
Elven Warrior

As far as I know, kids like pop music just because they don't know any better. It has a good dancing beat, and if you haven't heard *real* music, this qualifies it as "good" music.

Of course, it's generally not good music. It's all about looks, glamour, and money. (ie, Britney Spears types. Are there dozens of non-mainstream singers who are much more talented than her? Absolutely. Do they consent to sing cheesy lyrics while wearing see-through clothing? I think not.) So music becomes just another product.

Admittedly, pop music is fun when you're in middle school, but once you get older and develop (hopefully) some taste, I can't understand why you'd listen to it. Shows a lack of individuality on the listener's part.

When it comes to pop culture at large, I personally go the way of early-industrial Japan: selective borrowing works every time. When you reject all pop culture on principle, you can become just another kind of snob. So pick what works for you and ditch the rest.

dreamflower
- for all things Lady Galadriel
galadriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 11:34 AM   #16
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Quote:
Admittedly, pop music is fun when you're in middle school, but once you get older and develop (hopefully) some taste, I can't understand why you'd listen to it. Shows a lack of individuality on the listener's part.
I would even go so far as to say that it's more of an elementary thing. I'm going into 8th grade and by 6th grade, hardly anybody in my class was still listening to NSYNC, much less Britney Spears and her clones. We've all graduated to either A: rock and classic rock or B: rap & R&B, which I have no taste for but is certainly better than some other things out there. I went the way of the rockers and have thouroughly enjoyed it. Only recently have I become interested in what I call "educated pop"- artists like Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Celine Dion, Avril Lavagne, Natalie Imbruglia, Jewel, etc.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 01:20 PM   #17
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
Only recently have I become interested in what I call "educated pop"- artists like Michelle Branch, Vanessa Carlton, Celine Dion, Avril Lavagne, Natalie Imbruglia, Jewel, etc.
Great choices - I listen to all of them.
Old 07-25-2002, 01:27 PM   #18
Erawyn
Elven Warrior

love natalie imbruglia, but i only have her old CD. does anyone have the new one? is it even out yet?

"Be not so bigoted to any custom as to worship it at the expense of Truth."
Johann Georg von Zimmermann
Erawyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2002, 04:16 PM   #19
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Why is Pop culture popular?

]: )

Mayhap it is because pop (popular) is simply whatever happens to be in vogue at any given time? hmmm?
Old 07-25-2002, 04:21 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

And as regards that... because america has been systematically dumbing itself down for years... and the rest of the world emulates america.

The feelings oriented, thought-deprived, wholly subjective political agenda makes it hard to get people to actually think for themselves.

And, in a sad irony, many of hte most intellegent americans spend their time supporting this view.