Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-24-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
Panther2112
Hobbit

Strider Return of the King

I just finished reading the trilogy for the second time. I'm 35 and the first time a read the books was when I was a teenager. It was fun to go back and read the books again because there was so much I had forgoten about. One thing struck me though, is it me or is the ending of the books kinda depressing . I love the Sim and have read it more times than I have the trilogy and it's sad also. They are still great books, but very sad in my opinion. How does anyone else feel about the ending of the trilogy? Anyway, peace everyone.
Old 05-24-2002, 12:15 PM   #2
Firalphien
Hobbit

I totally agree w/ you. Except, I just finished reading it yesterday night! I'm just confused w/ one thing, but i'll figure it out soon, hopefully. The ending was also kind of disappointing, at least I thought so, well to the degree of, I wanna know what's next...
Old 05-24-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
StrawberryIcecream
Elf Lord

I thought the ending was genius.

Extremely powerful and though it left you sad, it left you happy as well!

No, i think he couldnt have ended it better. Well done Tolkien.

for all you pippin's out there.

Last edited by StrawberryIcecream : 05-24-2002 at 12:40 PM.
StrawberryIcecream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 12:55 PM   #4
Lelondul
Swan-buggerer

I agree Strawberry (boy, alot of people have just finished reading again - that's great!). Add me to the list of recent-re-reads - I just finished it again well into the night last night and I have to say the ending is perfect. Bittersweet is how I characterise it, and that to me is what makes it so brilliant and true-to-life. It resonates in a much more tangible way than if it had a too-happy-sappy ending. Wouldn't have done the rest of the work justice imho.

I think the Sil is many times over more tragic (with the exception of the Beren and Luthiensaga) than LotR. Would that the Professor could have written some of the Sil epics in the same, detailed manner of LotR *sigh* aah well, our imaginations will have to do

- Lelond
Old 05-24-2002, 03:13 PM   #5
Panther2112
Hobbit

Strider

I was not implying that the ending was bad, just sad. I to think the the entire series is genius. I guess the ending is more true to life. Nothing last forever and the world changes. People come and go and the lives of men and women short. As Gandalf said be not ashamed to cry for not all greif is bad or something to that effect. Peace all.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:00 AM   #6
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
The ending of the book made me cry only a little bit, because I was prepared for it to be sad, and determined not to cry. It did touch me in some way that I can't explain. It changed me...well...that sounds weird. I told you I couldn't explain it. I'm glad the ending wasn't happy-go-lucky oh, everything's great now type of ending.
Old 05-25-2002, 12:06 AM   #7
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

It was definitely a departure from the usual "and they lived happily ever after" ending. Like Lelondul said, it's bittersweet. There's the sadness of Frodo and the others passing into the West, but then there's the happiness of Sam to be home. Sheer brilliance.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 01:24 AM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

He did try Lelondul. You've read Of Tuor and His Coming to Gondolin and the Narn-Chîn-Húrin I believe. And there is the unfinished Lay of Leithien.
Old 05-26-2002, 02:53 PM   #9
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Quote:
The ending was also kind of disappointing, at least I thought so, well to the degree of, I wanna know what's next...
read the appendices and "Later events concerning the members of the Fellowship of the Ring."
Old 05-27-2002, 01:02 AM   #10
Eldanuumea
Elven Warrior

Strider Re: Return of the King

Quote:
Originally posted by Panther2112
I just finished reading the trilogy for the second time. I'm 35 and the first time a read the books was when I was a teenager. It was fun to go back and read the books again because there was so much I had forgoten about. One thing struck me though, is it me or is the ending of the books kinda depressing . I love the Sim and have read it more times than I have the trilogy and it's sad also. They are still great books, but very sad in my opinion. How does anyone else feel about the ending of the trilogy? Anyway, peace everyone.
An overwhelming feeling of grief and loss came over me when I finished Return of the King. Frodo's statement about how, to save something sometimes one has to lose it, is so sad. Frodo is such a badly hurt, damaged individual.
The passing of the elves is terribly sad and wistful. Everything in their world is fading.
There is a general feel of loss throughout all threes parts of LOTR.
Perhaps that is one reason the books have had such unusual impact on people's souls. There is no simple "Everyone lived happily ever after." Life doesn't work that way.
Old 05-27-2002, 05:28 AM   #11
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

I think that the passing of the elves gave me a feeling similar to what happens when someone you know dies. What you are actually grieving is the fact that you are no longer in the presence of that special person; that the world is no longer the same without him/her; but you think they are going to a special place where there is no more hurt.

This is from my christian perspective, btw.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 05:32 AM   #12
Eruviel Greenleaf
Alcoholic Villain-Fancying Elf Pirate

I find the end to be very bittersweet...a lot for the reasons mentioned above by Arathorn. . .the Elves, and Frodo, are leaving, but they are going on to a 'better place...'

I always find myself almost to be crying at the end of the RotK.

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Eruviel Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 06:57 AM   #13
Garina
Elf Lord

If Tolkien had ended it any other way, it would have been cliched. I love the ending!
I wish that Frodo had been able to find peace in the Shire, but I guess the book is actually better if it can make me cry!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2002, 11:34 AM   #14
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Eruviel Greenleaf
I always find myself almost to be crying at the end of the RotK.
Almost? I nearly cry my eyes out. The most important reason why I do not read it in public.
Old 05-27-2002, 03:11 PM   #15
Eruviel Greenleaf

Well, there might have been a few tears in my eyes

What really made me cry was at the end of The Two Towers, though. I more often cry when I'm listening to the BBC radio production, at the very end. There's a song, and it's just really sad. . .

"Whoever has come to understand the world has found only a corpse, and whoever has found a corpse is superior to the world."
-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-28-2002, 01:50 PM   #16
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Yeah... it was sad... , but not that much!! If you were Sam, Pipin or Merry yuo were really crying, but you are just reeaders...

when I finished LOTR I jumped to the Silmarilion... It was a good book too, and its end wasn't sad at all. It was happy...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:22 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I cried almost non-stop from the end of Two Towers to the Grey Havens, even at the happy parts, and I never usually cry at books. I thought it was a perfect ending, wistful but with a sweetness too.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2002, 03:56 PM   #18
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

I didn't think it was sad in a sense, but the finality was what I was saddened about. It seemed that there should have been more! Sad points for me were when King Theoden was struck down and the death of Halbarad the ranger....
Old 05-28-2002, 06:10 PM   #19
Eruviel Greenleaf

I find that at least for myself I really indentify with one or two characters, so much that when there is a point such as at the Grey Havens, I feel really, really sad because all throughout the book I have identified with a character for whom at that point it is very sad. Or at least bittersweet.

I thought one of the saddest parts in RotK is when they return to the Shire and it's been ruined by Sharkey, and all those poor trees are cut down

-The Gospel of Thomas

SQUAWK!
Old 05-29-2002, 06:45 PM   #20
Strange-Looking Lurker
Elven Warrior

I think any other ending would not have fit with one of the biggist themes in Tolkien: sorrow. Can you think of a single Tolkien story were something beautifull or great is not lost?