Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-22-2002, 08:51 AM   #1
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

faramir

what are your thoughts on faramir?

I seen him as aragorn would have been as a young man had he been raised in gondor and not in the wilds

aragorn is the Capt the enterprise and faramior is the perfect #!

to me they are really the same person that tolkien split in two

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 09:04 AM   #2
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I agree with you, Afro-elf
I think that Faramir has greatness in him, but he was overshadowed by Boromir and didn't face the challanges that develop greater strength of character, as Aragorn did throughout his life. In otherwords I feel that Faramir was slow to mature, but rose to the challenge when he had to. I also sense that he was more 'cerebral' and compassionate than his brother, and therefore, ultimately more suitable for leadership.
I'm not familiar with the Star Trek series, but I get the gist of your analogy.
Old 05-22-2002, 01:28 PM   #3
Snowdog
Dúnedain Ranger of the North

Gimli

I think Faramir grew up in his brothers shadow, learning and doing all that was required of him, and of course he grew up as a great warrior being that he had an older brother that excelled in weaponry. Faramir was more into the lore I believe also.
Old 05-22-2002, 02:26 PM   #4
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

I have always wondered about Denethor favoring Boromir, because both sons wer obviously brave and great men. I suppose that when Faramir showed an interest in learning from Gandalf, Denethor was disgusted.

Was the old man just arrogant? What did he have against wizards? And was it only the influence of Sauron in the palantir that made him scoff at Aragorn's claim to the kingship? Or is that just arrogance as well?

Read about the Lady Legrace
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron's Nagging Wife
Was the old man just arrogant? What did he have against wizards? And was it only the influence of Sauron in the palantir that made him scoff at Aragorn's claim to the kingship? Or is that just arrogance as well?
Well he did know that Gandalf was trying to get Aragorn become the King of Gondor. Denethor being a king in everything but name probably didn't appreciate that, hence his dislike of Gandalf. Well that's my view at least.
Old 05-22-2002, 05:23 PM   #6
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

it says in many places that the blood of numenor ran more truly in faramir(when i say that i mean he was more like his numenorean ancestors than boromir). The stewards came fromt he house of hurin (the numenorean hurin). that would explain somewhat of their similar character
Old 05-22-2002, 06:27 PM   #7
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

I always thought of Faramir was more of a person who dislikes battle but does it to protect those he holds dear. To me he seems to be calm good hearted and good character. He also seemed to me to be much more controled than his brother and softer.
Old 05-22-2002, 10:50 PM   #8
Christiana
Elf Lord

Location: Searching desperately for a swan boat to take to Valinor
I agree
Christiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:40 PM   #9
Kevin McIntyre
Elven Warrior

Denethor favored Boromir because he was less complicated than Faramir. Boromir was a warrior, and in Denethor's thats what was needed in Gondor's hour of need, Faramir spent too much time with history and thought (at least in Denethor's mind). All this means is Boromir probably was the better general, but Faramir would be the better leader.
Kevin McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 02:56 PM   #10
Elbereth Gilthoniel
Enting

I liked Faramir, I think he is very similar to Aragorn in few ways.Faramir grew and he always was the second to Borumir, he isn't proud as Boromir is.
thy starlight on the Western Seas.
Elbereth Gilthoniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2002, 12:04 AM   #11
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Faramir...yes, I think he was much more complicated than Boromir, and probably wiser, even though he was younger. The type of man that doesn't look forward to war, but does it when it is needed...and still realizes that 'fighting for peace' is an oxymoron.
Old 05-25-2002, 01:37 AM   #12
Nienna Grey
Enting

Gandalf

I was discussing Faramir with a friend a couple of weeks ago and we both agreed that he was a complex and understated character.

He had the seeds of greatness in him, no doubt, and he did indeed rise to the challange when needed.

I loved the way he was so courteous with Eowyn too, especially when he thought she might still be in love with Aragorn.
Old 05-25-2002, 02:41 PM   #13
Sicirus
Elf Lord

Strider

i agree
Faramir was one of the nobelest and honost character in the book.
He wasent afraid to admit he hated things or that he liked things.
Old 05-25-2002, 03:31 PM   #14
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Hopefully this hasn't been brought up yet. I wanted to say that in a letter, Tolkien said that of all the characters in the Lord of the Rings, Faramir is most like himself, except, he said, "in bravery".
Old 05-25-2002, 03:41 PM   #15
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Faramir is my favorite character in the books, and he's onw of the best anywhere.
He could probobly get away with a spin-off book of his own, I suspect.
Old 05-25-2002, 10:20 PM   #16
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

Faramir's judgement after the "rabbits..." capture was wise for his position relative to his brother. I felt reading RotK that Denethor valued Boromir's "blind" loyalty over all his other qualities. This may have exacerbated Boromir's fatal decision.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 09:32 PM   #17
Aragorn_iz_cool
Elven Warrior

Quote:
I think Faramir grew up in his brothers shadow, learning and doing all that was required of him, and of course he grew up as a great warrior being that he had an older brother that excelled in weaponry. Faramir was more into the lore I believe also
Yeah. I agree. And Farimir is a scholer. Borimir is a warrior. Aragorn is bolth (And hot)
Aragorn_iz_cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 01:43 AM   #18
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Quote:
Yeah. I agree. And Farimir is a scholer. Borimir is a warrior. Aragorn is bolth (And hot)

faramir is a GREAT warrior recall eowyn's remark that NO man of the mark could have defeated him

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:23 AM   #19
Radagast
Elven Warrior

I concur to most of the statements above...
Faramir is in my signature and overall is one of my favourite characters...
Strong, thoughtful, noble and dignified he was much more empathic than Boromir...although I liked Boromir too. I always thought of Faramir as the kind that the soldiers below him looked up to, a leader they could relate to and trust absolutely. Faramir is a man that could inspire whole armies to rise up and give themselves pride.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:26 AM   #20
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Boromir, however is quite a paradox. On the surface we see an arrogant warrior with every reason to feel secure in his strength. He is his father's favourite, a fabled warrior and the trusted emissary of Gondor during the Council of Elrond.
Boromir is concerned for his people but clings to what power he can grasp. He refuses to recognise Aragon as being the 39th descendant of Isildur until his dying moment, far too eager to remain an important man in Gondorian society.
He looks down on his brother somewhat though...I'm really just thinking aloud here.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote