Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-16-2002, 09:24 PM   #1
Shana
Hobbit

Location: Littleton, CO USA, or Mirkwood, or possibly Lothlorien, maybe even the House of Tom Bombadil
Gollum Parallels between animated and New Verion

I found some striking similarities in the twobmovies as I watched LOTR the anumated version last night:
1. When the hobbits are on the road after meeting up with Pippin and Merry, and they hide from the Nazgul under that tree stump thing

2. The Horses that appear in the Ford (River thing?) where the Nazgul are washed away

3. The statues of the kings as the company crosses the Great River (the way their arms are outstretched)

The visual appearance of these were so similar I figured Pete had to have taken at least these images from the cartoon...what do you guys think?
Shana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 10:34 AM   #2
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

I think this may be a silly theory, but please don't make fun, I believe that they may be based on the same book. Crazy I know.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2002, 02:07 PM   #3
Shana
Hobbit

Location: Littleton, CO USA, or Mirkwood, or possibly Lothlorien, maybe even the House of Tom Bombadil
Gollum

Uh...ok
One would have to be pretty stupid not to figure that one out
Anyway, I'm talking solely about the VISUAL IMAGRY here, and not the fact that it's the same story (duh) the two were different in many ways, but with those certain scenes, it looked as if Peter Jackson was somewhat influenced by the animated version.

Last edited by Shana : 04-17-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2002, 04:20 AM   #4
Agburanar
Elf Lord

The Ringwraiths' attack in Bree was the same although the animated version did Weathertop better. Also both failed to do justice to Moria and the Balrog. The orcs in the animated movie were scarier although they had toes.... ah well.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 04:43 PM   #5
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

Did anyone else think that the ringwraiths were funny in the animated version. I mean they walked around as if they had been sat on the horse for too long and in Bree they looked so funny gathered in that circle...i was laughing so hard.
Did anyone else think that or am i just strange?

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #6
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Re: Parallels between animated and New Verion

Quote:
Originally posted by Shana
2. The Horses that appear in the Ford (River thing?) where the Nazgul are washed away
That is directly out of the book, but I havn't seen the animated version, so I can't compare the 2 movies.
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 06:16 PM   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Sapling

I was really scared by Aragorn in the animation. Not only did he wear no trousers, just some fuzzy (rather kinky) underpants, but he had a really daft voice.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2002, 08:47 PM   #8
Shana
Hobbit

Gollum

Quote:
Originally posted by Agburanar
The Ringwraiths' attack in Bree was the same although the animated version did Weathertop better. Also both failed to do justice to Moria and the Balrog. The orcs in the animated movie were scarier although they had toes.... ah well.
YES, I noticed that too, just forgot to add it i there (about the ringwraiths, the way they hold their swords up before they attck)
P.S. a spider has just crawled into my keyboard.
Old 04-18-2002, 09:26 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

They were very similar...

If it was a normal sized spider, I think you're ok. If it wasn't a normal sized spider,, you won't be stopping back to read this, so It's good either way. ]: )
Old 04-19-2002, 04:36 PM   #10
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

oh and another funny thing that my sister pointed out was that Elrond looked like "Ken" from "Barbie". At first glance i thought that Boromir was Gimli and i feel so sorry for Glorfindel; he always gets cut out!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Old 04-19-2002, 06:46 PM   #11
Darth Tater
The man

Uh, PJ has insinuated in interviews that he thinks the animated film sucks. Also, all the images you mentioned are described in great detail in the books. The idea that PJ would rip off an inferior film by an inferior director with an inferior visual style is, well, ludicrous.
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 05:04 PM   #12
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Classic blunder in the Bakshi:

Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me.
Gandalf: I do, too.

Or something like that. To borrow Darth's word, ludicrous!
Old 04-22-2002, 05:13 PM   #13
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Elfhelm
Frodo: I wish the Ring had never come to me.
Gandalf: I do, too.
I now swear on my honor as a Tolkien-obsessed Elf, never, under any circumstances to see the animated Lord of the Rings movie.

Is that really in the animation?! I can't believe that!
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2002, 07:05 PM   #14
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

I'd have to rent it and see it again, but it's something apocryphal like that.

The common things between the visualizations of Jackson and Bakshi are also found in the paintings of the great Tolkien artists. I think they both liked some of the artworks and used them as starting points.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:12 PM   #15
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Ah, but Gandalf did receive the ring for a few moments in Bag End, making him a Ringbearer, technically.

Quote:
'It has everything to do with it,' said Gandalf. 'You do not know the real peril yet; but you shall. I was not sure of it myself when I was last here; but the time has come to speak. Give me the ring for a moment.'
Frodo took it from his breeches-pocket, where it was clasped to a chain that hung from his belt. He unfastened it and handed it slowly to the wizard. It felt suddenly very heavy, as if either it or Frodo himself was in some way reluctant for Gandalf to touch it.
Gandalf held it up.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 04:02 AM   #16
Agburanar
Elf Lord

Inferior directors must draw on each other!

Define a great Tolkien artist, surely Tolkien himself must be the greatest Tolkien artist, but there are better general artists. John Howe (The artistic blokey who worked on the film) is a really good fantasy artist but he takes some really strange liberties with Tolkien's work. For example on his illustrated map he has a knight of Gondor with eight stars on his shield and his Uruks' helmets have no 'S' runes.

ROLLING STOCK, WE'RE ROLLING STOCK!!
Agburanar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:34 PM   #17
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

As Tater said - the images you mentioned are exactly as Tolkien wrote them. At least Jackson kept some things similar to the books.

I actually liked the Ringwraiths better in the animated movie - although it does have serious problems. The Ringwraiths are DEAD men. In Jackson's movie - they just walk around like lumbering giants or normal men.

I do agree - Weathertop was better and the Flight to the Ford scene was done better in the animated version (except for animation) . Also - Pippin and Merry's speech about them going to Rivendell out of friendship was better in the animated version (it followed the book). There is nothing mentioned about Pippin and Merry's friendship for Frodo in Jackson's and it being the reason for them joining the quest.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:39 PM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

The Ringwraiths aren't dead. They are corrupted beyond all hope of cure.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 03:48 PM   #19
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Nazgul

They're wraiths - which are undead. In between living and dead. I still don't think they would be walking and running like normal humans like that were at Weathertop. I realize they are not technically "dead". I shouldn't have capitalized "DEAD" - but they are for all practical purposes - walking "dead" men.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 04-23-2002 at 03:53 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2002, 05:06 PM   #20
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

At first i was impressed with the animated version- the bit where it was part film. If it was all like that i would have been pleased with it. But then the animation turned weired and well...it was ok but not brilliant. I laughed at most of it because some parts were so cheesy.

Oh and the wraiths shouldn't have walked like that. They looked stupid.

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"