Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2002, 02:16 PM   #1
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Do you ever read the chapters in your own order?

I wonder if anyone else does this. One way is to start book I at the Inn at Bree, read book II, skip book III, read book IV, skip book V, and read book VI up to the point where the minstrel of Gondor sings about Frodo of the nine Fingers and the Ring of Doom. That would all have fit into the space of one novel. And the last sentence of that paragraph is a great ending.

Not that I don't like the other parts. I just like to pick up where I left off sometimes.

Or what about this - do you ever feel like reading the trilogy chronologically? I think I could calculate that but I don't have time righ now.

I know, it's a weird question, but this IS entmoot after all.

Last edited by Elfhelm : 04-12-2002 at 02:17 PM.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:44 PM   #2
Elf Girl
Lurker

I sometimes read just one chapter that I like and then keep going from there, but never in any order like that.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:48 PM   #3
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I dip into scenes I like or particular chapters to get them clear in my head, but not depending on which books they are.
How do you mean read it chronologically? Swapping between Books 3 and 4 as the events are happening? That would be interesting.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
eowyn144
Elven Warrior

after i'd finished reading lotr, a lot of my friends started reading it. so by the time they all started talking about it i had forgotten some bits. so they'd say to me "i just got to that part where.."etc and i'd have forgotten what they were on about.
so i started to dip into chapters depending where my friends had got up to just so i could join in their conversations.

i've also read the choices of master samwise several times but that's just because it's my favourite chapter!
Old 04-12-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
Rosie-Lass
Elven Warrior

Quote:
i've also read the choices of master samwise several times but that's just because it's my favourite chapter!
Which we are NOT allowed to forget! Lol.
I've got up to the chapter Mount Doom and I read until 1.00 yesterday morning! Thats why I was so tired today! I can't wait to finish it. I probably already finished it, I read The Scouring of the Shire and the Grey Havens already. Naughty me! I'm not looking forward to reading 'Many Partings'. *Sob*.
Old 04-12-2002, 04:02 PM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

I read them all in order. Not because it seems like the logical thing to do but because I can't stop reading once I started. I reread sometimes when it's a particulary good scene or when I forgot where I was.
Old 04-12-2002, 05:39 PM   #7
Menelvagor
Elf Lord

I always read them the way it's written. I dunno why, it just makes more sense to me that way...
Menelvagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 05:43 AM   #8
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

I always read it in the proper order, except when I first read it, I skipped ahead a bit to check if Gandalf was really dead. I like to go back to bits which tell the history of ME, such as the council of Elrond, after reading the Silmarillion or Unfinished tales (which I am reading now). I do tend to skip some of the songs/poems.
Old 04-13-2002, 08:02 AM   #9
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

i tend to skip the parts with the hobbits and focus on the elves. dwarves, and men

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:03 AM   #10
Elf Girl
Lurker

When I thought Gandalf was dead, I didn't skip ahead, I was miserable for days.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 08:23 AM   #11
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I read them all in order. Not because it seems like the logical thing to do but because I can't stop reading once I started. I reread sometimes when it's a particulary good scene or when I forgot where I was.
Yeah, that's what I do. I get too confused, if I skip chapters. Even though I've read LOTR 7 (or 8?) times, I always forget stuff in it, so when I re-read it, I'm remembering stuff as I go along, so it's not a good idea to skip stuff. I still tend to skip the songs, and poetry though.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 04-13-2002 at 08:24 AM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 12:49 PM   #12
Handmaiden of Yavanna
Elven Warrior

I got really bored with the chapters on Frodo and Sam so I skipped those and read only about Aragorn, Gimli and Leoglas. After I finished with Aragorn, I went back and read the chapters on Frodo so I would not get completely lost.
She wandered wayward for a time, from the gardens of the gods to climb the everlasting mountains free that look upon the outmost sea, and never wandered back but stayed softly singing from glade to glade.
Handmaiden of Yavanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 04:05 PM   #13
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

If i feel like reading the book properly i tend to read in order. But even then i only lightly read parts without the hobbits. But if i'm restless i read only my favourite parts which include all of book IV and from "Mount Doom*" in book VI to the end. (It is so sad...certain to make me end up in tears by "The grey Havens"

* is that the name of the chapter? I'm working from memory!

I usually get bored reading about aragorn, legolas and gimli. I prefer reading about Frodo and Sam!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 07:36 PM   #14
Renille
Elven Lady of Speed-posting

I read what I'm particulary in the mood for on the day I'm reading. Sometimes my mind feels like wondering whether balrogs have wings. SO I read about Moria. Other times, my brain is hungry for elvish lore. So I find all the old poems and try to memorize them. At certain times, my mind needs refreshing at points. So I read those chapters. It's quite simple,really.
(from Seussical the Musical. Listen to it...watch it...really.)
Renille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 09:13 PM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

Sometimes I make up my own screwy order . . . but that's just because it makes it more interesting.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2002, 11:18 PM   #16
elf_princess
Elven Warrior

I read it in the order it's written. But I usually end up reading a bit and then going back and rereading it. I'll read a bit, go back a bit, read a bit more, go back a bit... just to make sure I completely understand it... my mind wonders easy... lol
elf_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:09 PM   #17
Bradistic
Hobbit

Skip the songs and poems!!! How can you do that? Those are the best parts. I got mad at my Dad when he told me that he skipped the long songs. I just can't believe it. Those are my favorite parts of LOTR.
Bradistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:13 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Evil look*

Ooh, here is a poem, watch me skip it!
Dang, another boring song...

*flip, flip, flip. Pages heard turning.*

Ah, that's much better, back to the story.
Old 04-14-2002, 06:25 PM   #19
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

In three words: All the time. I skipped most of the poems the first time, but the second time through, I read them. Calm down and take a deep breath Bradistic, and try not to hurt BeardofPants too bad.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2002, 06:32 PM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

*Flip... flip... flip.... More pages turning..*