Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > The Silmarillion
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-25-2002, 08:06 PM   #1
Juriella Took
Sapling

Sam Gamgee tulkas

Does anyone think that there's a possibility that Tom Bombadil (TLOR) is actually Tulkas? They seem so similar - it leads me to think that they are one and the same. That would explain why the Ring had no power over Tom - if he was a valar. Sauron also does not seem to affect him. Also, Gandalf does mention that he was very ancient. Could it be so?
Juriella Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 01:34 AM   #2
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Welcome.

I don't think the two are actually very similar actually. Ultimately though Tulkas is in Valinor and Tom Bombadil is in Middle-earth and that's just that. In my proud opinion.
Old 03-26-2002, 02:32 AM   #3
MasterMothra
Elven Warrior

i think if tom were actually tulkas he would oppose sauron. just seems to be his nature.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:25 AM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

I think Tom isn't anything. It is possible for a Valar to be tempted. Tom isn't tempted because he can't be.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:40 PM   #5
Khadrane
Elf Lord

Tom is the Witch King of Angmar! Well, maybe not, but I did read an... interesting... theory about that once.

FRODO LIVES!

ABORTION IS HOMICIDE
Khadrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2002, 04:19 PM   #6
Elf Girl
Lurker

I don't think Tom is Tulkas. Tulkas was very warlike. Tom is not.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2002, 09:07 AM   #7
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Interesting thought... But I doubt it could be Tulkas, as seem to remember Tulkas was quite a hot-head. No way he would have stayed out of the fight. Another Vala perhaps then?
Old 03-31-2002, 04:09 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

How could he be any Vala? They are in Valinor. The Valar are the Valar and Tom is Tom.
Old 03-31-2002, 06:15 PM   #9
Earniel

maybe they took a trip to the continent. You know, sightseeing and stuff...
Old 03-31-2002, 11:44 PM   #10
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Right, and whichever Vala it was (accompanied by the other Valië) decided to settle down somewhere, change their personalities and functions completely and change their names to Tom Bombadil and Goldberry.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:47 AM   #11
Earniel

Why not? Afterall that celebrityship can be too much to bear sometimes. How do you solve it? By going incognito...
Old 04-01-2002, 08:06 PM   #12
Juriella Took
Sapling

Sam Gamgee You're right. . .

I forgot that Tulkas was in Valinor. I have only just started reading the Silmarillion after many years. I also forgot how much Tulkas loves a good fight. Tom really couldn't be him, afterall - he isn't very interested in the world outside his own woods. Well, it was a thought, anyway - and it stimulated conversation!
Juriella Took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 04:42 PM   #13
Fladrif
Sapling

Tom Bombadil was the spirit of the Oxford countryside. He was featured in a poem after an older son tried to flush the toy of one of the younger sons. This doll had yellow boots and a blue jacket. He blithely danced and sang his way through hazards in the Old Forest. His chief virtues are 1.) an ability to overcome any bleak, dreary, forboding situation with a cheerful song and 2.) an ability to appreciate a thing for itself, especially a beautiful thing in nature.

Tulkas is a great warrior among the Valar. Surely Tom Bombadil is also one of the Ainur (ed.), probably one of the countless lesser beings, unnamed Maiar, who dwelt in Middle-Earth. The Balrogs were perverted Maiar. We don't seek to find links between every Balrog and some named Maiar, so why should we seek this with Tom Bombadil? Tom and Goldberry just are.

I could go on. I love this topic.

Last edited by Fladrif : 04-04-2002 at 11:00 AM.
Fladrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 03:50 AM   #14
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Quote:
Surely Tom Bombadil is also one of the Valar, probably one of the countless lesser beings, unnamed Maiar, who dwelt in Middle-Earth.
Don't you mean Ainur? I doubt the Maiar were countless - probably uncounted, and the majority, in my opinion, would be living in Aman.

As for Thomas being Tulkas, umm...no. Tulkas once wrestled with Morgoth, and threw him on his face. Tulkas would make light work of Sauron, given half the chance. Tom definitely did not show that kind of power...
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 04:39 AM   #15
Fladrif
Sapling

Yes, I meant Ainur, thank you Anduril.

They are "countless" in that "their number is not known".

But the point is that people often seem to want to identify Tom and Goldberry as some other beings in disguise, but they are too guileless to present themselves as other than they are. In the Silmarillion JRRT says there are many more Maiar among the Ainur, and some of them lived in Middle-earth. They shouldn't have to be some Maiar who are named differently in another tale. They can just be themselves.

Last edited by Fladrif : 04-04-2002 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:21 PM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't think they have to be Maiar either.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:47 PM   #17
Fladrif
Sapling

That's why I said "probably". So what other sort of being do you think could put on the Ring and be unaffected?
Old 04-04-2002, 11:17 PM   #18
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

The only thing that seems to me to be alike between Tom Bombadil and Tulkas is they both tend to laugh a great deal. And I agree with a previous post- if Tom was Tulkas, he would have probably participated in the War and not sat within set borders.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:20 PM   #19
Tar-Elendil
Númenorean

Theoden

i just recently lost my book The Silmarillion. but in the fellowship of the ring it states that tom has blue eyes. if someone could possibly read the description of tulkas in the silmarillion or any other book or in an essay by JRR, it just might put an end to this debate?
Old 04-05-2002, 02:59 AM   #20
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quote:
Greatest in strength and deeds of prowess is Tulkas, who is surnamed Asaldo, the Valiant. He came last to Arda, to aid the Valar in the first battles with Melkor. He delights in wrestling and in contests of strength; and he rides no steed, for he can outrun all things that go on feet, and he is tireless. His hair and beard are golden, and his flesh ruddy; his weapons are his hands. He has little heed for ether the past or the future, and is of no avail as a counsellor, but is a hardy friend. His spouse is Nessa, the sister of Oromë, and she also is lithe and fleetfooted. Deer she loves, and they follow her train whenever she goes in the wild; but she can outrun them, swift as an arrow with the wind in her hair. In dancing she delights, and she dances in Valimar on lawns of never-fading green.
Tulkas is very unlike Tom. Tulkas is golden haired while Tom's is brown. Tom does not particularly excell in strength or deeds of prowess and is in fact rather heavy (or at least "thick"). He does not delight in wrestling or contests in strength. Tulkas "rides no steed", Tom rides an old pony named Fatty Lumpkin. Tulkas' weapons are his hands, Tom's are his songs. Tulkas has heed only for the present, Tom is a master of past lore. Tulkas is of no avail as a counsellor, Tom and Goldberry imparted much wisdom upon the Hobbits.

Little in the description of Nessa would point to Goldberry. Goldberry has no particular connection with deer and her speed is not mentioned. She's not known for her delight in dancing either. Nessa is associated with the forest and the wild like her brother Oromë, Goldberry is associated with the river and the rain and the waters of the Earth.

Anyway Tolkien said Tom was an aborigine. It is my strong belief that Tom and perhaps Goldberry are members of some sort of unique order or Race. I do not believe them to be Ainur.