Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-11-2002, 08:46 PM   #1
Lady Galadriel
Sapling

Gollum What is Gollum?

I've heard he wasa hobbit, and also a goblin, but what is he really? I'm confused!
Old 03-11-2002, 08:51 PM   #2
Lady Galadriel
Sapling

Yes

I have read the book, and if I missed this I'm sorry, but i just don't get it? He seems so, well, slimy! He really remingds me of E.T. as well
Old 03-11-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
Elvet
Elven Warrior

I thought he was a man, from people that lived along the river banks. They had an affinity for water, and got their sustainence
from it . Sort of like fisher-folk. I guess when the ring corrupted him, it drove him to the extreme of watery darkness.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:17 PM   #4
Nibs
Head Hollara

He was a Stoor, a type of halfling found more south-eastward and dwelling near rivers. His cousin, Deagol, found the ring while swimming. It was Smeagol's (Gollum) birthday, and wanted the ring. He murdered Deagol when he (Deagol) refused. Smeagol discovered the ring's powers and had a heyday, but became an outcast from his own folk. He then left and dwelt in the Misty Mountains.

Ever heard of Mormons? I'm one. Click here to know more about us.

Last edited by Nibs : 03-12-2002 at 06:33 PM.
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:35 PM   #5
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

You're correct, Nibs. And the reason he's all slimey is from the transformation the ring had on him all those hundreds of years beneath the mountains and in those dark, wet surroundings. He kind of adapted to the area and also was corrupted physically by the ring.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2002, 10:40 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

He was also wet. That tends to make me slippery
Old 03-11-2002, 10:41 PM   #7
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

He was a fisshhh hunter who disliked nassty fries.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:43 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I wonder what his stance on hamburgers would be?

"Greasy! Nasty! Oh, yes, my prescious! Burned by nasty red flames, yes, yes! We don't like catsup, do we, my prescious! Oh, no!"
Old 03-11-2002, 11:02 PM   #9
Ararax
Elven Warrior

deagol was his cousin they shared the same gradndmother
Old 03-12-2002, 03:30 AM   #10
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Just curious? How does one make a gollum sound with one's mouth/throat anyway? Is it like a gurgle or a burp?

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 08:05 AM   #11
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

perhaps you have read the book, but not thoroughly enough. in the second chapter of fotr "The Shadow of the Past" the history of Gollum and the ring is all there quite plainly. i'm hoping the movie isn't confusing anyone - i can't remember if galadriel mentions what manner of being gollum is in her little prologue
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:21 AM   #12
Elf Girl
Lurker

I saw a screen shot of Smeagol and Deagol fishing that day, but they cut it out of the movie. They did say that Gollum found it, but they never called him Smeagol.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:55 AM   #13
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I always thought that he was a corrupted Hobbit! Oh he is isn't he.Doh!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:41 PM   #14
Ararax
Elven Warrior

yes he was a corrupted hobbit hobbits weilded the one ring longer then either sauron or men they seemed, to be most resiliant to its powers
Old 03-12-2002, 12:52 PM   #15
Arathorn
Bard of Mangled Songs

Yes it seems that the less concerned with power an individual is, the less it is affected by the One Ring. The hobbits were very petty (men's point of view) in terms of their concerns (meals, parties, etc.) and there was also Tom.

Accio, Ash Nazg!

Elennuru s?*la lúmenn' omentielvo (The Death Star shines on the hour of our meeting) - Darth Arathorn

Put aside the ranger...
Start looking for Mumakil action figures...

Last edited by Arathorn : 03-12-2002 at 12:53 PM.
Arathorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 12:55 PM   #16
Ararax
Elven Warrior

thats why i think tom was eru or at least a valar because the ring had no power over him he was much more powerful then it, also i would have thought if tom was a maiar then sauron would have noticed if the ring and he joined be senseing a powersurge
Old 03-12-2002, 02:12 PM   #17
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Treebeard

Smeagol/Gollum was NOT a Hobbit! He was descended from a race of people who later called themselves Hobbits. Gandalf did say something similar to this in A Shadow Of The Past.

It was Smeagol's birthday and he was fishing with his cousin Deagol. Deagol found the Ring but Smeagol wanted it, so he murdered Deagol and then took the Ring for himself. The Ring turned Smeagol into a mishevious pain in the neck and was kicked out of his little community. That was when he fled to the Misty Mountains and evolved into Gollum as the Ring lengthened his life by over 600 years (according to the movie, I can't remember whether this was said in the book).

You could say he was a kind of mutant Hobbit. That's what my Biology teacher said . No really! He was working so he gave us a free lesson, I was stuck on one of the desks right at the front by his desk. I got The Fellowship of the Ring out and he said,
'Lord of the Rings! Gollum, right?' I nodded and then he said 'He a mutant Hobbit, have you got that far yet?' I hadn't, and I was fuming

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.

Last edited by Kwijibo : 03-12-2002 at 02:15 PM.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 02:53 PM   #18
Ararax
Elven Warrior

haha i would have shot him, but golum mutated after he got the ring he was a hobbit b4
Old 03-12-2002, 03:04 PM   #19
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

Quote:
deagol was his cousin they shared the same gradndmother
The word Cousin can also mean simply 'friend', which is used in that context sometimes by Tolkien (Gandalf refers to Radagast as his cousin) so they may not be direct cousins, they are probally related someway or other, like most Hobbits were.

Why is everyone repeating eachothers facts?
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 03:07 PM   #20
Kwijibo
Elven Warrior

Location: Lothlorien (actually Wales, but let's not talk about that)
Arwen Undomiel

Quote:
Originally posted by Comic Book Guy

Why is everyone repeating eachothers facts?
I guess we're just parrots. Do they have parrots in Middle-earth?

Why is everyone reapeating each others facts?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

'I left my body to science, but I'm afraid they've turned it down' - In memory of Graham Chapman

'Rubin sits like Buddah in a 10 foot cell,
An innocent man in a living hell,' - From 'Hurricane' by Bob Dylan, the only innocent Hurricane protest song, written stressing the innocence of Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, a black, middle-weight boxer imprisoned for 19 for a triple murder which he did not commit.
Kwijibo is offline   Reply With Quote