Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-01-2002, 04:46 PM   #1
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

Black Hawk Down

Is it just me or was that movie not so good?
Old 02-02-2002, 12:44 AM   #2
luinilwen
Elven Warrior

it's not out in australia yet! another two weeks to go. i don't generally like war movies, so yes i am admitting i'm only going to see it cuz or *cough* orlando bloom
luinilwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 07:39 PM   #3
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Just saw it. Man! That movie was great! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!! Nah, just kidding. Your entitled to your opinion. but still?

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 11:56 PM   #4
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

It didn't have character development/plot

Great docudrama-but no movie.
Old 02-03-2002, 02:50 PM   #5
Aragorn
Elven Warrior

Who needs character development? It had plot.

And they carried them to the flatlands
But they died along the way
And they built up with their bare hands
What we still can't do today.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO till the day I die.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 09:41 PM   #6
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I want to see it 4 2 reasons: Josh Hartnett and just that it really looks good. But i am going to wait till it comes out on video and we have the TV guardian, cuz of all the cussing. Sorry if anyone thinks I'm weird, but I'm a Christian & I don't really think I should be exposing myself to that kind of stuff.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2002, 11:56 PM   #7
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
Hey Galadriel, good for you for sticking up for what you believe, my sister in Christ (yes, I say that so :P) My friends look at me weird when I ask them to not mention certain things around me, especially the Wiccan one...gah.

I'm not really a fan of war movies, so I won't be seeing it.
Old 02-15-2002, 02:38 AM   #8
ryan
t2t relic

i dont think i really planned on seeing it, until i saw the history channel documentary on the truth behind the movie. Its some interesting stuff, just reading about what happened leaves you in suspense, and watching some of the re-enactments from the documentary makes me want to see the movie even more. I heard it was really good, though Anyone else seen it? What'd you think?
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 11:03 PM   #9
Evenstar
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
I want to see it 4 2 reasons:
When I read that I thought it said that you had 42 reasons to see it...I got a little confused!!! Here lies the reason why I should not skim read!!!
Old 02-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #10
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

I just saw it. Its not that great. Its not horrible either. It was just OK. Not in the least as great as you folks and others make it out to be. There was zero character development. You couldn't possibly feel for a particular soldier. They didn't all have their own little storylines, etc. All of them looked a like. Can you name any of the soldiers names??? I can't. The people who saw it with me can't. And I bet you can't either. Maybe if you saw it a second or third time you could, or if you went and closely listened for their names. But if you just went to see it for a first time, there is no way you would have any clue who any of the individual soldiers are.

It was extremely slow moving. It was basically like a documentary. hey, I like documentaries. This was just like that. Because it was a true story. It wasn't as action adventure as I would have thought it would be....I mean it wasn't really action packed. Now you may be saying "What is he babbling about? Sure it was action packed; machine guns, grenades, explosives, etc." Well yeah, it was and it wasn't....sorry if I actually am babbling. So basically this was just a documentary , but a little more graphic. Even that was toned down....

Its not even close to the best movie in 2001-2002. It was just ok. sorry if you disagree with me. Thats just my opinion.

And another one of my opinions: Seeing a movie just because it has a cute guy you like in it seems to be a little silly.....uhh yeah.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2002, 07:29 PM   #11
HOBBIT

Also about that character development thing.... In other movies with these squadrons of soldiers, etc, you know all of the individual soldiers' names. You feel for them. When they die, its sad. When something good happens to them, you are happy, etc. In this movie, when a soldier died...it was like "who was that?" why would you care about them if you don't even know who they are. See my point?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 02-19-2002, 04:16 AM   #12
ryan
t2t relic

Quote:
And another one of my opinions: Seeing a movie just because it has a cute guy you like in it seems to be a little silly.....uhh yeah.
If this is true for girls, too, britney spears' movie is doomed. Everyone just wants to see it because she dances around in her underwear.
into my pockets
my pockets, the pockets
of Ryan, Ryan, he who
will deliver the money
unto me. Then you will
truley be happy."
And the people followed, and all was well." --Ryan 62:33
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 07:36 AM   #13
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

I not saying it applies to those who posted here but I do find something interesting.
People vote for such trite visual doggerel as " Titanic" which had no character development, the most insipid plot and sub par acting. But they were bedazzled by hype.

Then when BHD comes out they miss something. They are so used fantasty in there movies needing someone to identitfy with the forget why they don't know the characters names or why there is no back story. These soldiers ARE numbers. They are the thousands of faceless humans who have died, die and shall die for the caused of our inherent human weakness.

The best lines in the movie are paraphrased here.

When the bullets start all that polictial **** flies put the window and all that matters is the men beside you.

And when the hard ass delta force guy is talking to Josh saying that most peope would not understand why he does it. And it was just matter of his comrades where there and they needed his aid.

There is a certain code leave no man behind and that was what th movie was about to me. It was not about some sappy story. It was a sublte movie yes docu-drama.

I felt that when Josh's idealism was slain was a poignant to the story.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2002, 08:38 AM   #14
HOBBIT

Well, Black Hawk Down is not in the least as popular as Titanic was. Its already almost out of the theatres. Around here, its either already gone, or in an EXTREMELY small theatre. Titanic was around for what, a year? Black Hawk Down will be out of all movie theatres in 1-3 weeks.

Old 02-19-2002, 08:42 AM   #15
HOBBIT

Quote:
There is a certain code leave no man behind and that was what th movie was about to me. It was not about some sappy
story. It was a sublte movie yes docu-drama.
yes, the theme of the movie was that no man got left behind. But who were this men? We didn't know them or get to know them. The whole theme was pointless because they didn't introduce us to any of the characters (soldiers). They say no one gets left behind...and we do not even know the someones who are supposed to get left behind. Like the guy who got shot running in to the other us army guys, I had no clue who that was. Who was it that was getting shot? Since no one knows there names..you guys don't know either. First off, they don't really mention to many names anyway, and you can't remember when they do...they all looked alike. Who was the one that died? Well, a lot of them died...and yet I can't tell you a single name of one of the dead characters. Can you?

Old 02-19-2002, 09:29 AM   #16
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

the point was not the that bhd was financially bouyant as titanic.

the point was that titanic was bread and circuses

so your statement is non sequitor

poor education leads people to believe popular is synonymous with good

Quote:
yes, the theme of the movie was that no man got left behind. But who were this men? We didn't know them or get to know them. The whole theme was pointless because they didn't introduce us to any of the characters (soldiers). They say no one gets left behind...and we do not even know the someones who are supposed to get left behind.

i restate

Then when BHD comes out they miss something. They are so used fantasty in their movies needing someone to identitfy with the forget why they don't know the characters names or why there is no back story. These soldiers ARE numbers. They are the thousands of faceless humans who have died, die and shall die for the caused of our inherent human weakness.

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-19-2002, 03:33 PM   #17
markedel
'Sober' Mullet Frosh

An interesting thought, but if a movie is presented one way-as a war movie with stunning visuals, but is actually something else, a high concept study of the inhumanity of war it fails no less then a film that purports to examine "higher" ideas but is really just tripe does.
Old 02-19-2002, 04:29 PM   #18
HOBBIT

In the movie, the soldiers are just guys with guns.....thats not exactly how soldiers are. They are indivudal people... Don't you think?

Old 02-19-2002, 06:50 PM   #19
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

to markedel:

I am not trying to defend bhd as a high concept movie
I do not think it was a GREAT movie

I; however, do not think that it is incongruous to have a movie that is visually stunning and subtle.

But I state again it a decent movie not a great one.

To Hobbit:

" welcome my son. welcome to the machince"
- pink floyd

Thousands of people die daily in neeedless wars. They have since time immemorial and shall continue to do so. Other than the few who knew, know or will know them they are the faceless masses that are trampled back into to dust of the earth just like everyone else. It isn't pretty but its true.

'Dern Helm"

Old 02-21-2002, 11:42 PM   #20
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

Thanks for the support, Starr.

I saw some of that documentary, ryan! It was really good, IMO.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote