Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-03-2002, 08:55 PM   #1
halfling1152
Sapling

Gandalf ne1 know the elvish language?

Help i surf the net on all my free time searching for elvish who knows it?!?!?!help me please send me somewhere i can find it or e-mail it to me im halfling1152@aol.com please help if you can.THANKS
halfling1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 08:57 PM   #2
Darth Tater
The man

http://www.uib.no/People/hnohf/index.html
Darth Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2002, 09:08 PM   #3
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Quenya Course Online...
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 04:36 AM   #4
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Yeah, all links are posted.
I am studying this course now, and it would be great if I could chat with somebody in Elvish. I mean, someone who is a newbie to the language, just like me (went 3 lessons so far), not with an elf
Old 01-04-2002, 09:04 AM   #5
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Some of the phonological rules get tedious later on ,but it is a great course. I wont redundantly post another link as you already have two.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 11:21 AM   #6
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Well, if we start talking about Quenyan grammar...
I think Finns, Estonians, Latvians, Lithuanians, Russians and some others shouldn't have a much problems as English or French. That's because all 5 languages (and some more) use cases, and this is the most difficult thing to understand in Quenya (IMHO). The second hardest thing is those "personal endings". I don't know if I will ever learn them...
I looked through the course before starting the lessons, that's why I know a bit.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:58 PM   #7
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

yeah, Alot of Finnish grammar rules.

How do you know about cases and personal endings? Didn't you say you were on the 3rd lesson. Lesson 11 covers Case phonology? Personal endings are covered in 13, I think.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.

Last edited by CardenIAntauraNauco : 01-04-2002 at 11:06 PM.
Old 01-04-2002, 10:59 PM   #8
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I don't think there's enough vocabulary for chit-chat.
Old 01-04-2002, 11:29 PM   #9
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Yeah it's made for middle earth that does take away from it's modern practical application
Old 01-05-2002, 02:31 AM   #10
Kamyel
Hobbit

For someone who's interested in learning elvish would you guys recommend Quenyan or Sindarin? My friend and I are going to study elvish together and we're trying to decide which one to use.
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 02:35 AM   #11
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Quenyan... More resources and better for speaking. Go to to Darth Tater's link and click on course.
Old 01-05-2002, 02:49 AM   #12
Kamyel
Hobbit

Thanks
Kamyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 07:03 AM   #13
Legolas
Elven Warrior

I said I made the overview of the course before starting it. So, I know WHAT will it be there.
Pronominal endings are: 1) lesson 7 or 8; 2) lesson 14; (two parts).
About vocabulary - ardalambion contains many links, and some of them have quenya vocabularies about newer words. But still there are too few words, really.
Old 02-28-2002, 03:53 PM   #14
TinuvielChild
Padawan

Quote:
Originally posted by Legolas

About vocabulary - ardalambion contains many links, and some of them have quenya vocabularies about newer words. But still there are too few words, really.
i totally agree! although i wonder...how easy would quenya and sindarin be to learn if you have been forced to take latin for the last three years?

Dance as though nobody's watching.
Sing as though nobody's listening.
Dream as though you'll live forever.
Live as though you'll die tomorrow.

EIDRIORCQWSDAKLMEDDCWWTIWOATTOPWFIO and proud!

FRODO LIVES!!!!!
TinuvielChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 02:45 PM   #15
Legolas
Elven Warrior

Why do you think Latin would help? Finnish would help better, IMO. Although there may be many confusements, like between French and Italian.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:20 PM   #16
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

Quenya is easier than Sindarin, according to linguist Helgeh Fauskanger.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:24 PM   #17
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

It would be such fun to learn it. But I know I can't, sigh why can't I have some lingustic skills? The only language I'll probably ever be good at would be orkish! Although, imagine how that would look on your resume: Dutch: mothertongue, English: very good, French: good, German: manageable, ORKISH: good Oh I'm so tempted!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 12:50 PM   #18
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
Eärniel: You're Dutch? That's so cool!!! I spent three months in the Netherlands around the same time I read LotR . . . never picked up any of the language tho.
I'm also lacking in linguistic skills . . . tough luck, I'm trying to learn Quenya anyways. It's certainly easier than latin!

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 04:13 PM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Gollum

You spend three months in the Netherlands and you never paid me a visit? Not a word of Dutch, nothing after three months? tsss tsss. For shame!

Just a technicality, I speak Dutch or Flemish for that matter, but I am actually a Belgian.

Anyway good luck with the Quenya lessons!
Earniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 05:10 PM   #20
Ërendil
Elven Warrior

I'm trying to learn Quenya but it is so difficult (But somewhat easier than Sindarin*). I'm having real trouble with the pronunciation and grammar rules. All my friends think that i am a freak for learing it and can anyone help me?

* Not too sure about the spelling!

"Hehehehe, moeru moeru!"

"That's it, set it all on fire; we're gonna smoke out Escaflowne!"

"Oh, I hit the wrong target... never mind that creature was useless to us anyway. Our orders were to get the girl? So he isn't our concern, we don't need him!"

^_^ Isn't Dilandau just fantastic? You just have to love the insane, murderous pyro :-D
Ërendil is offline   Reply With Quote