Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Literature
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2001, 09:59 PM   #1
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

Lord of the Flies

All I want to say about this book is that I think it is stupid. We had to read it for my English class, and it is just an obvious symbol for the "evils of the world" . The part I have a problem with is the ending. It is so contrived. The Navy man shows up and it just ends. Nothing is solved. I felt that reading it insulted my intelligence. What do you think?
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 11:34 PM   #2
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

I think this book is a classic example of how even very civillized people can regress to savages if faced with the savage isolation that those school boys face on the island. The reason I enjoy the book, is watching the slow slide of the boys into a very tribal society. The ending to me is very powerful because nothing is resolved, problems in real life are often like that. The most poignant thing about the book is that, despite all they've struggled against and all they've accomplished, and all they've tried to build, next week they'll be back in civillization, back in school, and it was all for nothing.

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 02:11 AM   #3
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

It's been years since I read it. I should take it up again.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 03:24 PM   #4
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

I hated this book. Made me literally puke. And have nightmares. That doesn't happen often.
Old 12-24-2001, 03:47 AM   #5
mirrille
Elven Warrior

That's interesting. In my year, we had several different English classes and they all did the same books...mostly. One class got to do Lord of the Flies but my class had to study Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood. I read Lord of the Flies in my own time to see what I was missing. Let's just say I would rather have done Lord of the Flies. It actually had a plot. It had a point. Kind of the whole "humanity is only 3 meals away from reverting to savagery" sort of thing. It's been done before, but the story is relatively believable. I wouldn't reread it though. It wasn't that special.
mirrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2001, 01:01 AM   #6
Lumina
Sapling

Quote:
I hated this book. Made me literally puke. And have nightmares. That doesn't happen often.
At least that shows that the book is powerful.

Quote:
Nothing is solved.
That's the point.

Lord of the Flies is one of the great novels of the twentieth century.
Old 12-31-2001, 02:27 AM   #7
CardenIAntauraNauco
Elven Warrior

Fortunately,or perhaps unfortunately I have never had the opportunity,or obligation respectively to read it... But I have heard both opinions I say its a matter of taste. I personally would probably enjoy it as much as I enjoy the mechanics of chewing (note the probably) simply because it is set in the modern era and I like a book with a definite resolution. But simply because so many people read it and for its ,from what I've heard, philisophical value it would be considered a great book of this, or last rather century.
"We will have peace","Yes we will have peace...we will have peace when you and all your works have perished - and the works of your dark lord to whom you would deliver us. You are a liar,Saruman,and a corrupter of men's hearts. You hold out your hand to me and I percieve only a finger of the claw of Mordor. Cruel and cold! Even if your war on me was just - as it was not,for were you ten times as wise you would have no right to rule me and mine, for your own profit you desired-even so, what will you say of your Torches in westfold and the children that lie dead there? And they hewed Hama's body before the gates of Hornburg, after he was dead. When you hang from a gibbet at your window for the sport of your own crows, I will have peace with you and Orthanc. So much for the House of Eorl. A lesser son of greater Sires am I, but I do not need to lick your fingers. Turn elsewither for I fear your voice has lost it's charm.
CardenIAntauraNauco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 03:09 PM   #8
Lis Kester
Sapling

I read this book when I was a kid & HATED it. Then tried it again recently & discovered that while I still hated it, I also loved it. Isn't that weird? It's such a really terrible book - not the way it's written, just all the stuff that's in it - but it's got a lot of truth, and truth isn't always something you want to take home & snuggle up to.
Lis Kester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 05:09 PM   #9
Finglas
Enting

I think that English teachers are just mocking Tolkien fans by making us read it. Lord of the Ring/ Lord of the Flies
Old 01-04-2002, 05:42 PM   #10
afro-elf
Hoplite Nomad

Bregalad

My thoughts exactly!

She was kown as dernhelm because of her exclaimation when she realized that the rider's headgear was heavy and obscured her sight.

'Dern Helm"

Culled from Entmoot From Kirinski 57 and Wayfarer.
afro-elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2002, 06:48 PM   #11
Bregalad
Elven Warrior

Finglas writes:

Quote:
I think that English teachers are just mocking Tolkien fans by making us read it. Lord of the Ring/ Lord of the Flies
At least it isn't "Lord of the Dance" !!

This post property of Entmoot.
Bregalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2002, 01:25 AM   #12
FrodoFriend
Halfwitted

I can't believe you people. Lord of the Flies is such a great book. Simon's conversation with the pig's head . . . wow. Profound.

p.s. it doesn't have to be realistic, it's an allegory!!

The Crossroads of Arda - Warning. Halfwit content. Not appropriate for people with IQ of over 18.

The Fellowship of the Message Board

Nyáréonié - The Tale of Tears
FrodoFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2002, 11:55 PM   #13
Sauron's Nagging Wife
Enting

I first read this novel in 1981, and I still think it's one of the best. The story is gripping (the "hunt" for Ralph is certainly a page turner) and the use of the angelic choirboys as a microcosm for humanity is boh frightening and inspired.

Of course nothing is solved. That's the way of the world. The naval officer rescues the boys, but who will rescue the naval officer and his crew from the horrors of real war? It make syou think.

Read about the Lady Legrace

Last edited by Sauron's Nagging Wife : 01-10-2002 at 11:56 PM.
Sauron's Nagging Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2002, 11:23 AM   #14
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

i loved it - thought it was quite powerful. i think that Animal Farm was worse...as far as allegories. Or Gulliver's Travels (in its entirety). Lords of the Flies was refreshing, compared to those...
Old 01-19-2002, 02:08 AM   #15
AngusThermopile
Sapling

Ah! Lord of the flies! A multimillionaire, owner of a multinational zipper manufacturing conglomerate.

He wrote a novel too?
Old 01-19-2002, 02:36 PM   #16
Darkhalcyon
Elven Warrior

oooooo bad joke! but still amusing! *hehehe*
Old 01-23-2002, 05:16 PM   #17
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

I had a test on this today at school. I havn't read it since summer. (Summer reading.) I hated that book. I had to read it and Jane Eyre which I realllllly hated!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2002, 12:49 PM   #18
Laurelyn
Elf Lord

Location: Valinor, right next to Telperion . . . what did you expect, Michigan?
It was strange, if you ask me. Both beautiful and terrible . . .

Angel of music, guide and guardian! Grant to me your glory!

The country I eat and spend the day in is by no means the country I sleep and dream in. Define patriotism.

Hold the boat, you spastic monkey! ~ Elenka
Laurelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2002, 01:18 AM   #19
snoopy
Hobbit

I had to read The Lord of the Flies in highschool- And I found it hard to get into.
"Curse it! curse it! curse it!" hissed Gollum. "Curse the Baggins! It's gone! What has it got in its pocketses? Oh we guess, we guess, my precious. He's found it, yes he must have. My birthday-present."
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2002, 10:51 AM   #20
RosieCotton
Elven Warrior

I am reading Lord of the Flies for my eighth grade English class right now. It seems like you either love it or you hate it. My parents both hated it. I'm only on chapter three, and its weird....but rather intrieging. (I can't spell)
Rosie
He snatches the moons from out of the sky.
RosieCotton is offline   Reply With Quote