Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-04-2001, 05:29 PM   #1
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

Sam Gamgee Ring Size.

Even though the ring seems to change sizes, isn't it odd that it was designed for a big thug like Sauron and yet the two hobbits, Frodo and Bilbo, could wear it comfortably without it falling off?
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:39 PM   #2
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Thug?! I THINK he's abit more evil than THAT. More like evil person thing
Maybe Sauron had small fingers? Actually I think that Sauron wanted as many people on his side as possible and made the Ring so that that could happen. You do know it brings it's bearers will under it's own will....RIGHT?So I think it'd be easier to do that with a size changeable Ring.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 05:55 PM   #3
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Hmm... I always pictured sauron as a tall, thin guy with long, thin fingers.

Defenitly very 'elven', except with black skin, and more terrifying than fair after the fall of numenor.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:58 PM   #4
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Also, you have to remember... it did slip off of isildur's finger... and off of gollums.

If I were to guess... I would say that the size changing had something to do with the energy flowing through it. Take what happens when it's thrown in the fire... it becomes heavier.
Old 12-04-2001, 06:21 PM   #5
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

It fits any finger with any bearer of the ring, so its a "One Size fits all" ring, it can change size. As for slipping of the fingers of Gollum and Isildur, the ring wanted to be found and so it slips off when it wills and tries to find a new Ringbearer in hopes that it will bring it closer to its master, Sauron.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 06:31 PM   #6
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

But bilbo also said it had a tendancy to change size for him. And when gandalf tossed it into the fire, it grew and became heavier.

I think it might be something innate, rather than it's own will.
Old 12-05-2001, 12:49 PM   #7
Lightice
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Wayfarer
Hmm... I always pictured sauron as a tall, thin guy with long, thin fingers.

Defenitly very 'elven', except with black skin, and more terrifying than fair after the fall of numenor.
My opinion of Saurons looks has always been that, he was, before Numeron, very elf looking, beautiful looks and voice that could charm the listener like Sarumans speech, exept even better. Exactly, a bit like Lovecraft's Nyarlathotep in human form, though not as powerful.
After Numeron I have taught him as about 10 ft tall creature, that never is really seen, becouse hes always wrapped in (and partially formed of) shadows. Those shadows, however burn like fire. Think of balrog and make it even more evil and powerful.
Balrogs were maias too, right, although weaker.
But that's only my opinion. I just can't imagine Sauron thin, assassin-like figure...
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 01:53 PM   #8
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Actually, he used his 'fair' form pretty much exclusively until it was destroyed in the drowning on numenor.

After that he was descrbed as black... and his hads were said to burn like fire.
Old 12-05-2001, 03:08 PM   #9
Lightice
Elven Warrior

...Just as I said Wayfarer.
My picture of Sauron is based on those descriptions.
Lightice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2001, 05:59 PM   #10
Dain Ironfoot
Sapling

Hello I am new
anyway i think of sauron as a big guy like around
6'9 also I figured you would never see his face it would be behind a mask the whole time. other then that a basicly human like figure. I have a friend though that thinks sauron is a fallen elf that has become twisted into an old withered being.
Dain Ironfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:46 AM   #11
arynetrek
Elf Lord

i pictured Sauron (in the 3rd age) as being very tall but shrouded in dark, so you can't see his skin color or exact shape. in Numenor i pictured him as being tall again & comparatively pale - but never thought of him as having thin delicate little hands...

fallen Elf? where'd he get that idea?
aryne *
arynetrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:53 AM   #12
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Dain Ironfoot
Hello I am new
anyway i think of sauron as a big guy like around
6'9 also I figured you would never see his face it would be behind a mask the whole time. other then that a basicly human like figure. I have a friend though that thinks sauron is a fallen elf that has become twisted into an old withered being.
Hi Dain Ironfoot, welcome!

No, Sauron was no fallen Elf, but a being of the Angelic order of the Ainur. There were 'Archangels' the Valar and lesser 'Angels' the Maiar. Sauron was a corrupted Maiar. When you get that far, you can read all about it in The Silmarillion.

Yes, the Ring was flexible and had a will. But that will was sort of a remote operating agent of Sauron´s will, and the goal was to better its chanses to come home to daddy, Sauron.

'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 06:22 AM   #13
Fat middle
Mootis per forum
Administrator

i agree that the Ring changes size to fit, but also i picture hobbits' fingers thick enough to wear it.
Old 12-06-2001, 06:31 AM   #14
Ace
Hobbit

Gollum

I recall that the ring changes size in an attempt to stay with someone who it thinks will bring it to Sauron. And when that person is proven useless (Gollum) it finds a new bearer in an attempt to find its master.

As far as what I picture Sauron as, well, after the sinking of Numenor Sauron lost his physical body. So I picture him as a shadowy thing, black, skinny, red eyes, sorta like a Nazgul, if he has no physical body how would he even wear the ring?

"If the choice be mine, I say, we march!"
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 07:29 AM   #15
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

Quote:
As far as what I picture Sauron as, well, after the sinking of Numenor Sauron lost his physical body. So I picture him as a shadowy thing, black, skinny, red eyes, sorta like a Nazgul, if he has no physical body how would he even wear the ring?
He did lose his body at Numenor, but not the ability to create a new one. He was merely unable to assume a fair-seeming form after Numenor. He certainly was in corporeal form during the duel on the slopes of Orodruin, and he was wearing the Ring (Isuldur cut it off his finger with the shards of Narsil.) Gollum also remembers him as having a physical shape ("Yes, there are only four fingers on the Black Hand, but it is enough")

Tolkien addressed the issue of his carrying the Ring from the Downfall of Numenor despite the lack of a physical body in one of the Letters. His explanation boiled down to "Yes he could carry it without being corporeal".

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 02:59 PM   #16
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

But didn't sauron leave his ring in Barad Dur? It says in akallabeth that he 'returned and took it up again'.
Old 12-10-2001, 04:57 PM   #17
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Would you say that when Sam was tempted to use the Ring in Mordor do you think that it did that because it thought that it's former holder was dead and useless? It seems to make sense to me.
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2001, 05:05 PM   #18
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I'm pretty sure it tried something like that with everyone who bore it. It wanted to corrupt him, and make him reveal himself to sauron, whether or not frodo was dead.
Old 12-14-2001, 04:58 PM   #19
tbrad28
Hobbit

Gandalf

humm..... you never know what can go on in middle earth.... I think it fits all of them because it is ment to curroped the controler of the ring... therefor it turns in to the perfect size of that person... thats why bilbo, and MR.Frodo could were it...... well if you want you can call me crazy
tbrad28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 04:08 PM   #20
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

If I may interject?

How, in Mandos and the Hells of Angband, did you people get the idea the the ring was meant to corrupt it's wearer?

The other rings were made to preserve, sauron forged the one ring to give himself control over the morgoth element (which was used in the making of the other Rings, thus giving him control over them, and thier bearers).

The corruption was a side effect. It likely resulted from the large amount of sauron's power that was in it, as well as constant flow of morgoth energy (through the ring to sauron).

The ring was not meant to corrupt because, to be perfectly blunt, Sauron never meant for anyone else to have it!

Last edited by Wayfarer : 12-15-2001 at 04:10 PM.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote