Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-01-2001, 11:22 PM   #1
dethfire
Sapling

just started reading

Hey folks I'm about a third done with the first book. To tell you the truth it's a bit bland, but I'm still in the beggining I guess. Very nice character development though.

can't wait for the movie
dethfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:11 AM   #2
emplynx
Self-Appointed Lord of the Free Peoples of the General Messages

You better get that book done before you see the movie!!!!!!!!!!!
emplynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 10:12 AM   #3
Bacchus
Elven Warrior

The book will speed up a great deal quite soon.

Always after a defeat and a respite, the Shadow takes another shape and grows again.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 11:39 AM   #4
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

Ok this happened to me a couple of times to me in the book but you must keep going. I stoped after book 4 and then i was persuaded about a year later to read the whole thing. Ok i was more forced into it. But anyway the point is that the ending is just the best and will make you have a silly smile across you face for the next three days and have you recomend the book to everyone you meet.
Don't give up!
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2001, 04:24 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Quote:
Originally posted by Play Girl
But anyway the point is that the ending is just the best and will make you have a silly smile across you face for the next three days and have you recomend the book to everyone you meet.
Really? I've recommended it to everyone I know for almost six years now. And the movies only promise to liven things up (I hae a few of my friends absolutely hooked, and a few more that have promised to pick up the books soon)
Old 12-03-2001, 11:49 AM   #6
fireworks19
Elven Warrior

People are NOT allowed to see the movie before reading AT LEAST the Fellowship. By order of ME.
Old 12-03-2001, 01:02 PM   #7
dethfire
Sapling

lol...

i hope it does get more intense, it's just not holding me in right now. I'm at where they are staying at tom's house in the woods.
Old 12-03-2001, 03:00 PM   #8
Elvellon
Elf Lord

It does get much, much more intense. It’s intensity grows exponentially as the book advances.

Reality is just an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

The Caffeine Mantra
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of Brazil that the thoughts aquire speed,
The hands aquire shaking,
the shaking becomes a warning.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion...

Elvellon Erelion
Elvellon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 05:16 PM   #9
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

I don't see much point in saying anything more, as you'll be absolutely enthralled from almost they moment they leave Tom's house, and prolly won't bother posting for a while.

Old 12-03-2001, 05:54 PM   #10
dethfire
Sapling

now i'm excited!!!!
Old 12-03-2001, 05:59 PM   #11
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

I happen to like In the House of Tom Bombadil. It's my favourite chapter.
Old 12-03-2001, 06:17 PM   #12
Kirinki54
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Play Girl
I stoped after book 4 and then i was persuaded about a year later to read the whole thing. Ok i was more forced into it.
Forced? Why on Middle Earth?
'They need more gardens,' said Legolas. 'The houses are dead, and there is too little here that grows and is glad. If Aragorn comes into his own, the people of the Wood shall bring him birds that sing and trees that do not die.'
Kirinki54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2001, 07:39 PM   #13
Thorondor
Sapling

You may not know that LOTR was written to be one book, not three. It was the publishers that decided to break up such a massive book, so as to not scare the readers. Most stories start with a lot of character and situation development, move into a period of conflict, and then finish up with the big action. That's pretty much how it is with the three "volumes" of Lord of the Rings. In a story as big as LOTR takes some time to get the stage completely set.

You just have to settle in for a "long journey". Trust me, things will be moving along pretty quick very soon. A very common reaction when someone completes the full trilogy is that the story is "too short".
Thorondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 12:14 AM   #14
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Well of course it's one novel published in three volumes.

What's really ingenious is a recent boxed edition I saw, which publishes LOTR in seven volumes - the six books plus appendices. If you want to break up LOTR for easy paperback travel storage in your carry-on luggage, that's how you do it... though quite frankly, on a trip you'd get through it so quickly anyway, you'd probably end up bringing the whole thing.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2001, 02:34 PM   #15
Play Girl
Elven Warrior

To reply i was force basicaly because I found book four so boring and i had completly forgoten about the rest of the fellowship because lets face it book three just does not end on a cliff hanger. But this guy i know told me to read it again and i did. It only took me about a week to get through the first book! This reminded me how good it was and I battled through book four to emerge refreshed for the return of the King and for Sam (easily the best character in the book) to marry. Horray! And i was litteraly smiling for the next three days.
Play Girl
xxx

Frodo lives!
Play Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2001, 07:22 PM   #16
Bombadil's PR Guy
Hobbit

I found that my interest in LOTR continued to snowball as I went, turning off the reading light later and later each night. Although we may go a good couple hundred pages at a time without hearing of say, the Frodo & Samwise thread, we can wonder about them even as do their separated friends. Nice little events, such as the massive pillor of smoke from the orc incineration, or the darkness out of Mordor, help synchronize the separated action in time. I really felt like the buildup of suspense and foreboding for the ultimate quest was well-sustained through all the episodic action. You certainly must invest more effort to become fully immersed into a 900 page work (not including the appendices, which are essential reading as well), which starts out rather leisurely, but since you're going to be there for awhile (unless you're an Evelyn Wood graduate), it's nice to get fully acquainted with the smells and sounds of middle earth before things get tense. The laid-back Hobbitown beginning also serves to contrast greatly with the world of conflict from which Frodo & friends have long been sheltered.
Old 12-14-2001, 07:46 PM   #17
tbrad28
Hobbit

Gandalf

ok.. i just finished the cmeeting.. you no the on were "strider" pulles out his swrod tells the stary about it.... and Mr.Frodo pulles out the ring and says a little speech.. then Bilbo makes a little speech about something that he made off the top of his head. (around pg. 320 ) then :strider" tells they guy he will help in a war... bettwen those 2 places on the sea passage....I for get then names of the 2 citys
then "strider" makes the promis after helping Mr.Frodo he will coem fight in the ever battle....... does anyone know what I'm talking about

well so for it's the best book i haev ever read!!!! I hope to get it done by the time the movie starts... only about 1-2 hours of reading left
tbrad28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 01:02 AM   #18
Ñólendil
Elf Lord

It would appear you're talking about The Council of Elrond. Two cities? You mean Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul?
Old 12-15-2001, 03:07 PM   #19
tbrad28
Hobbit

Gandalf

yes... yes thats the part.... and yes thise are the to citys

Minas Tirith and Minas Morgul

thank you!
tbrad28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2001, 09:34 PM   #20
Elendil
Sapling

Hey Brad Just ask me at school I know everything about Lord of the Rings