Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-31-2001, 10:31 AM   #1
andustar
Elven Warrior

tarot

Having recently finished the first five amber books (thanks ringbearer !) and also having been curious for quite a while before that, could someone here explain tarot to me?

I'm only asking for a brief idea of how it's supposed to work here so I know what to look for in the library (I mean, for a start, how many Trumps are there supposed to be? ) how many cards in a set for htat matter. They have meanings too, right? I gathered so much uh I don't really know anything about them... (I mean I saw someone in Elfwood write as a critisism of someone who'd drawn a card, that there should not be a golden cup in it... and someone reply along the lines of 'so what, I've seen a sword on a Moon card, what does it matter if'...)

Last edited by andustar : 08-31-2001 at 06:25 PM.
andustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 04:54 PM   #2
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Ummmmmm

Your post attracted me even though I'm not into tarot cards but um I was wondering what Tarot had to do with LOTR?
the puzzled
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
Radically Saved, Totally Tolkienited
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
samwise of the shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2001, 06:24 PM   #3
andustar
Elven Warrior

answer: nothing

But Tarot cards had a huge part to play in the Amber books I've mentioned, also I have heard then mentioned in lots of other books, and just about every fantasy board/site/etc online

I'm as puzzled as you are

But no matter, I plan to go Librarying tomorrow (like my word? I invented it a while back when I started to go to my local library more regularily ). I'll look for books on this.
Old 09-01-2001, 07:56 PM   #4
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Just my opinion...don't mess with them...they are evil.

Hide Witch, hide!
The Good Folks come to burn thee!
Their keen enjoyment hid behind
A Gothic mask of duty!
ringbearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2001, 09:49 PM   #5
juntel
Entmooter

Old 09-01-2001, 10:16 PM   #6
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Rolling your eyes eh' juntel...as I said, just an opinion!

Tarot cards, like fortune telling can be harmfull to those who do not just use them as fun. They can get wrapped up in them, and start letting them control their lives and the lives of others.

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!

Last edited by ringbearer : 09-01-2001 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2001, 02:07 PM   #7
juntel
Entmooter

that sounded more like TV
Old 09-02-2001, 02:08 PM   #8
adanedhel
Hobbit

I would disagree, but my horoscope said not to.
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest."

Feanor
adanedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 10:56 AM   #9
andustar
Elven Warrior

lol I only wanted to know what they were everyone.
andustar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 11:54 AM   #10
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Tarot is a powerful tool which can turn on a fool. Here in the colonies the latest is the tv commercial for "ms. cleo". However, from personal experience; with a knowlegeable handler; they can be accurate in guiding your future.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2001, 03:17 PM   #11
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Location: If home is where the heart is, and my heart is in heaven...that should answer your question. <+><
Accurate huh?

I totally agree with you Ringbearer, Here's something to mull over. If a card can tell the future without ears or eyes and if it is man made why cant any man tell the future?
Because we dont need to see into the future,because there is a God who knows what our future is without the use of the stars and cards. Turn to God sooner or later he'll tell you dont get impatient by using something that cannot hear or see or feel.
Sam
Ps.Consider the birds of the air do they worry about tommorow?
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 09-03-2001, 06:53 PM   #12
ringbearer
Elf Lord

Well said, Samwise!

Hide Witch, hide!
A Gothic mask of duty!
Old 09-04-2001, 02:01 AM   #13
adanedhel
Hobbit

Interesting, but isn't the bible a thing that can't see or hear that is made by men?...Yet it is FILLED with prophecies.

(By the way, I am not saying I believe in tarot or fortunetelling, I am just pointing out what I see to be a flaw in your reasoning).
"Say this to Manwe Sulimo, High King of Arda: if Feanor cannot overthrow Morgoth, at least he delays not to assail him, and sits not idle in grief. And it may be that Eru has set in me a fire greater than thou knowest."

Feanor
Old 09-04-2001, 06:38 PM   #14
samwise of the shire
Radically Tolkienited

Um one problem with YOUR reasoning

Yes the Bible is man made,but different books of the bible were written years appart but dont you find it strange that if the Bible was man made How did each and every one of them agree on the same things? What about Isaiah?He was a prophet of GOD and he did NOT have powers that gave him the power to tell the future,he was just a man a tool but God GAVE him words to say and he said them,it was not by men but BY GOD.How else could men hundreds of years apart agree on things that were to be without a God?
Something to think about.
Sam
~J.R.R Tolkien
GOD...
BLESS...
AMERICA...
Old 09-05-2001, 01:03 AM   #15
adanedhel
Hobbit

First, let me say that I am Catholic, I believe in God, and Christ, because it 'feels' right, not because some prophets made predictions that turned out to be true.

That being said, I also respect that something completely different might 'feel' right to someone else. I might not agree with them, their ideas might even seem ridiculous to me, but I don't have the gall to think that what I believe is the only possible truth there is.
Quote:
How else could men hundreds of years apart agree on things that were to be without a God?
Something to think about.
Sam
Easy, because they read what the first person said and repeated it. You said earlier that we didn't need to see into the future. Why then are there biblical prophets at all?

Feanor
Old 09-05-2001, 07:46 AM   #16
juntel
Entmooter

"there is a God who knows what our future is"

hmmm... all the future?

if so, are we really free to choose?

so, when baby Ted Bundy was born, he had the future (and the future of his victims) already "written" out for him, whatever he chose to do?

and the cremation chambers of Auschwitz were already clear in his knowledge of the future since the begining of time?

are we then just puppets that happen to have their future all laid out in advance by the master puppeteer?
Old 09-05-2001, 10:11 AM   #17
andustar
Elven Warrior

wow this thread has moved topics I would just like it said that I did not mean that I wanted to use cards to tell my future. The Amber books made me curious, that's all

As for what you said, Sam, the Bible was revised and changed many times throughout history.

I do believe in free will, too. I don't think we are just 'puppets'.
Old 09-05-2001, 06:04 PM   #18
Bullroarer
Elven Warrior

It seems like Christianity, with a God that knows all and all that is to come, would seem like a puppet act.

But:

When you think of an idea, you can imagine it in your head. You can see what it looks like, and you know what the future of this product can be.
So you think about this product and decide that you will hire a group of people that will build your product. You design the product, but your employees will decide how and when they will do it.

God thought of an idea, and He imagined it and thought it, and thought out every little detail. He knew that He would create man. He knew He would give man FREE WILL, and He knew that they would choose what they wanted. He did not plan what they would want to do, but He knew what they would do. God gave free will to man, and man made his descision and man suffered the consequences.

Your employees suffer the consequences when they decide to create the product lazily and do it at the last moment.

Why does God allow the bad things to happen? Because he can't stop it. Allowing sin to go unpunished is one of the few things that God cannot do.

And I'll stop here, because I need to go to De Amor.

And I'll leave with the following message:

'One time I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards...I got a full house and four people died.' -Stephen Wright

Last edited by Bullroarer : 09-05-2001 at 06:27 PM.
Bullroarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2001, 10:33 PM   #19
juntel
Entmooter

So, if I understand you, your god doesn't know what will happen in the future.
There are things he doesn't know.
Old 09-06-2001, 01:01 PM   #20
Spock
An enigma in a conundrum

Gads zooks, can't some admin. start a religious forum or something to get this theological stuff out of LOTR.??
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote