Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

2016 Olympic Games

My home city of Chicago is putting forth a strong bid to host the 2016 Olympic Games. The USOC will decide between Chicago and Los Angeles, one city to recommend to the International Olympic Committee.

I forget now what some of the other cities are that are vying to host it - outside the US. It's just exciting (and RARE) to have Chicago in the mix.

With that being 20 years after Atlanta (the last US hosted summer Olympics), some people think it's time for the US to get very serious consideration once more. So many feel that whichever city the USOC chooses will have a good chance. Others think that with the current level of US popularity internationally - it would be better to take a pass on it, that it will likely go elsewhere.

What do the rest of you think? With the next two locked up in Beijing (2008) and London (right? 2012) - is it time for the US to host again in 2016? And... what do you think of the prospect of Chicago hosting it?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 02-22-2007 at 10:24 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #2
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
I think the idea of it being in the US again is great! Though maybe not Chicago. (Not trying to insult your home town) Maybe it's better than Los Angeles, though. (Not trying to insult anyone's home town) It's never been to NYC, has it? Do they have the facilities?
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yay Chicago! I think it would be a good place for summer Olympics, better than LA. No offense LA, but all the athletes would die of heat stroke!

Then again, my own home town is nearly as toasty and we did host the Canada Summer Games, way back in the day (1995).
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #4
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Yay Chicago! I think it would be a good place for summer Olympics, better than LA. No offense LA, but all the athletes would die of heat stroke!

Then again, my own home town is nearly as toasty and we did host the Canada Summer Games, way back in the day (1995).
I suspect summer in Chicago gets hotter than in LA. I think the ocean breezes keep things a little moderate there... don't they? LAers??

One thing Chicago may have going for it is actually something going against LA... two prior Olympics have been held in LA - most recently 1984 - when was the previous... 1948? Anyway, I wonder if they'd go with a strong alternate, rather than giving it to the same city for a third time. OTOH, the LA Olympics were very successful last time around.

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #5
elven dragonrider
Elven Warrior

Location: Confusion Lane, on the back of a dragon, or on horseback.
Hopefully not LA, not trying to insult anyone, but I have to agree w/Nurvindiel and Valandil. Interesting, Valandil, I didn't know that LA had had it so many times.
This is probably the stupidest question ever, and that is why no one answered before, but does NY have the facilities for the Olympics?
elven dragonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 04:23 AM   #6
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I wouldn't put my argument for getting the Olympics to the USA again on the 20 years-bit. (Gods, has it been 20 years? I remember Atlanta!) But 20 years in the Olympics isn't that long as there's only one every 4 years. Of course not that many nations have the needed facilities to house the games so it's a bit of a select group that makes a chance.

Given the current situation the Olympics in the USA may be a little touchy (it's supposed to be politics-free, but some just can't let go, eh). Although it's still a good 13 years before it'll be held, so the political situation could have approved by then, optimistically speaking.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
LA is actually usually pretty temperate.
If the world has indeed, as I have said, been built of sorrow, it has been built by the hands of love, because in no other way could the soul of man, for whom the world was made, reach the full stature of its perfection.

~Oscar Wilde, written from prison

Oscar Wilde's last words: "Either the wallpaper goes, or I do."
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
sisterandcousinandaunt
Elf Lord

LOL, Lief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lief Erikson
LA is actually usually pretty temperate.
"Temperate" looks different from the Great White North.

*ducks flying snowballs and beaver tails*
sisterandcousinandaunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:07 PM   #9
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

so... no longer speaking to me eh?

Frigid?

Give it nine years ...
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Yep, the South Americans have had a couple of football World Cups but it will be the first time ever the continent arranges the Games. It's about time!

I was hoping for Chicago but I think Rio is a great choice. I expect Rio to give us the most festive Olympics ever. The atmosphere surrounding the Games will be as carnival-like as ever before
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM   #11
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

But doesn't Rio have massive air pollution and smog problems? I don't quite see them able to pull something off like China did, just close about every polluting facility down for the Games.

I was wondering too how Madrid was supposed to cope with both the summer tourists *nd the Games-audience. And I remember them having severe water-shortages in summer.

Which is why I had expected Chicago to be a more suitable candidate. I guess the Olympic Committee thought differently.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Shame - Chicago is a beautiful city, and it would have been nice to go back for the olympics.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Yes, there were - maybe that was part of it - but I'm glad for Rio - first time that a South American country has had the Olympics - good for them!

The sour grapes comments by some of the Chicago people were just ridiculous. Come on, be gracious to the winners! Hopefully most of them were.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!

Last edited by Rían : 10-05-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote