Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-26-2006, 01:07 AM   #1
trolls' bane
Entmoot Secretary of the Treasury

Entmoot Wiki

That says it! I want to create an Entmoot Wiki. One devoted soley(sp?) to Entmoot!
But before anything, I need:
-Permission from an official.
-Several interested members.
-Description, which I hope several mooters would compile.
-Addtional information, whatever that includes.
-A small, suitable logo.
-Some history/information to make it worth the trouble. In fact, this is the entire reason for creating it, mostly! Might help in getting them interested, too!
-Help upon creation.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

cool idea... i'll try to contribute... and give you permission too (eventhough i have absolutely no authority on that count )
Old 03-26-2006, 01:35 AM   #3
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I'll help to the best of my ability, too, although I'm a little confused as to exactly what you are making. An inter-Entmoot Wiki? Or a Wiki entry describing Entmoot for the real Wikipedia? Or, or like a who's who and a what's what thread, so that newbies and so forth can refer to it when they wonder about someone or something? Is this Wiki going to be a part of the Entmoot forum, or a totally independent website of its own? Did I already ask that? Maybe too many questions all at once...

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
trolls' bane

Entmoot's very own, personal, member-oriented Wikicity encyclopedia.
Good! I will be sure to put that in "Other Info", because I've decided to use that for placing the usernames of members who endorse the idea. So, now I add BJ and Lotesse.
Anyone willing to start out the draft for me? I have some basic outlines:

Purposes:
--Member bios (with member permission of course! And it's probably best if the bios are created by the members they are concerning).
--History, such as major events, like the elections
--Current events (self-explanatory)
--Major concepts (i.e. Teacup Cafe general info, Cafe history, etc. etc.)

Endorsing members so far:
-Lotesse
-brownjenkins
-trolls' bane (which is my username there, except w/ caps)
-Grey Wolf
-Nurvingiel
-The last sane person
-Bombadillo
-Butterbeer
-Acalewia
-Klatukatt
-Thain Peregrin Took I
-Meriadoc Brandybuck
-Farimir Captain of Gondor
-
-

Last edited by trolls' bane : 03-26-2006 at 11:17 PM.
trolls' bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Entmoot's very own, personal, member-oriented Wikicity encyclopedia.
Good! I will be sure to put that in "Other Info", because I've decided to use that for placing the usernames of members who endorse the idea. So, now I add BJ and Lotesse.
Anyone willing to start out the draft for me? I have some basic outlines:

Purposes:
--Member bios (with member permission of course! And it's probably best if the bios are created by the members they are concerning).
--History, such as major events, like the elections
--Current events (self-explanatory)
--Major concepts (i.e. Teacup Cafe general info, Cafe history, etc. etc.)

Endorsing members so far:
-Lotesse
-brownjenkins
-trolls' bane (which is my username there, except w/ caps)
Seems harmless enough. I endorse it too.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 04:38 AM   #6
trolls' bane

Thank you! I'm thinking fifteen total will be enough, at least for the company. Probably'll take 'em about three months to get a reply to me, though.
Old 03-26-2006, 04:39 AM   #7
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Doesn't the Tolkien Trail website have a section sort of like that, that hasn't been updated in about 5 years? So since it's as old as Treebeard's toehairs, I think a new one is a really good idea.

I thought you were submitting an Entmoot article to Wikipedia. But what we're doing is making our own on-line encyclopaedia of Entmoot, right?

Coolness.
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 09:52 PM   #8
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Two thoughts:

First, it would perhaps be a good idea to put an article about Entmoot on the real wikipedia before making an Entwiki.

Second:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trolls' bane
Purposes:
I think it would be much more fun if random people were assigned to compose outrageous bios.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

An article on the real wikipedia? sure.

but will it get deleted or not? look at this: from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:WEB
Quote:
Criteria for Web Content
Web specific-content[3] is notable if it meets any one of the following criteria:

The content itself has been the subject of multiple non-trivial published works whose source is independent of the site itself.
This criterion excludes:
Media re-prints of press releases and advertising for the content or site.[4]
Trivial coverage, such as newspaper articles that simply report the internet address, the times at which such content is updated or made available, a brief summary of the nature of the content or the publication of internet addresses and site or content descriptions in internet directories or online stores.
This criterion includes reliable published works in all forms, such as newspaper and magazine articles, books, television documentaries, and published reports by consumer watchdog organizations.[5]
The website or content has won a well known and independent award, either from a publication or organisation.[6]
The content is distributed via a site which is both well known and independent of the creators, either through an online newspaper or magazine, an online publisher, or an online broadcaster.[7]
The article itself must provide proof that its subject meets one of these criteria via inlined links or a "Reference" or "External link" section. Even if an entire website meets the notability criteria, its components (forums, articles, sections) are not necessarily notable and deserving of their own separate article.
I can think of some awards - Ezboard made Entmoot a showcase ezboard and ezboard interviewed bmilder and I for our sucessful forums for their first newsletter.

Michael Martinez gave entmoot 4 or 5 stars (whatever his highest rating is) and said it was the best tolkien messageboard (something like that).

And a local newspaper interviewed bmilder and probably mentioned entmoot.

we could put in an overview of entmoot and its general history.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Have you Wikied

Made my first (and probably last) edit at Wiki- added a reference to Fritz Leiber`s ChangeWar series in the `Alternate History- Fiction` article.

Anyone else (sorry, my question mark key has suddenly died)
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM   #11
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Yes, there is a Star Trek wiki called Memory Alpha and I edited the Vic Fontaine material. They had all his songs as "a song by Frank Sinatra". Sinatra didn't write a song in his life! So I put the actual lyrics and composer information there. That's my one and only wiki edit ever. It was a lot more work than I ever imagined.
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Yeah, I took out a reference to a tourist attraction near where I live which is now closed. Didn't want people turning up and being disappointed

However, realising how easy it is for anyone to make edits like that has made me very cautious about believing anything Wiki says.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #13
BeardofPants
the Shrike

That's true sun-star, but as a general rule, you should cross-check everything before using it as a tool - that's what I do.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:38 AM   #14
GreyMouser
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-star
Yeah, I took out a reference to a tourist attraction near where I live which is now closed. Didn't want people turning up and being disappointed

However, realising how easy it is for anyone to make edits like that has made me very cautious about believing anything Wiki says.
Yeah, I know what you mean- I was expecting some kind of review or challenge, but it just popped right up on the page.

I`ve seen a couple of articles there that I regard as blatantly biased; makes you wonder how much slips under the radar.
GreyMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #15
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Much IMO. A while ago there was a lot to do about a student that had put on the Wikipedia a bit where he said one of his professors at the university was dead. Wikipedia accepted it without fail. The professor in question was not amused.