Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-12-2005, 08:18 PM   #1
Nibs
Head Hollara

History

Interesting thought I had at work today... we've heard many stories from older folk about things in the past, things that are found in history books and the like... I realized the same will happen to us, and we'll be telling about the things that have happened or are happening now to our own grandchildren... what will we talk about, specifically? A few things come to my mind:

1. Actually witnessing the making and introduction of a gaming system with fewer than three dimensions. "Memory sticks?! What the heck is THAT?! In my day, we had to write the zeros and ones to load our games!!"

2. The sudden and inexplicable cross-over from briefs to boxers. That one's GOT to make it into the history books.

That's all that comes to mind for the moment... anybody else with ideas?
Nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Ragnarok
Rohirrim Warrior

Wars, government scandals, famous or infamous presidents, sporting events just to name a few....
Ragnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:37 PM   #3
Embladyne
Honourary Elitist Inklette

The dominance of Reality tv.

My DA page
Embladyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:01 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

flash in the pan.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

I was thinking about something similar last month. I was going to thread about it. This seems to be as good of a thread to add to the discussion.

During a revolutionary war reenactment - and with all the living history museums in NJ - where one can see life like it was in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's it occurred to me - someday they will have living history musuems of us. That's sort of a strange thought. I figured one of the things they would have is mall museums and things.

At some point - when people live on the moon - the place where Armstrong walked will be a museum area - with tour guides.

Someday we wil probably have a reenactment of Martin Luther King Jr giving his speech in Washington. Sort of like what is done with the Lincoln/Douglas debates in Illinois. With people dressed in period clothing and all that.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 PM   #6
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil
During a revolutionary war reenactment - and with all the living history museums in NJ - where one can see life like it was in the 1700's, 1800's and 1900's it occurred to me - someday they will have living history musuems of us. That's sort of a strange thought. I figured one of the things they would have is mall museums and things.
Hopefully more than "reality" show reruns.

I have a pretty good idea of what my grandkids will ask. Things that changed the world or different cultrure trivia things they might not even see in their textbooks: when Bush said he'd made no mistakes in his presidency... if it's true that he was hospitalized because of a pretzel... when the final installment of Star Wars came out... 9/11 of course, and where was I when I heard the news... when LotR movies were made... when my birthday was made a national holiday... when we got Saddam... how hard did Castro fall off the stage? Lots of things along those lines.