Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-28-2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

What would happen if no one voted?

Maybe not no one, but what would happen in democratic countries if voter turnout was so low, that the results of the election were worthless?

I imagine a re-electioin would be proposed. Hopefully, people would then realize that their vote really did matter. This would probably never happen, but what if the re-election also failed? How would the next government be chosen with such an abrupt and extreme failure in the system?

Would the strongest take control? Would the incumbent be given another term? Would your country descend into anarchy?

What do you think? Fellow Mooters, lend me your ears...
Originally Posted by hectorberlioz
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessar
IM IN UR THREDZ, EDITN' UR POSTZ
Nurvingiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
Maybe not no one, but what would happen in democratic countries if voter turnout was so low, that the results of the election were worthless?

I imagine a re-electioin would be proposed. Hopefully, people would then realize that their vote really did matter. This would probably never happen, but what if the re-election also failed? How would the next government be chosen with such an abrupt and extreme failure in the system?

Would the strongest take control? Would the incumbent be given another term? Would your country descend into anarchy?
I don't think that if voter turnout was 20 - 30% that a democratic country would turn into anarchy. Anyway - in terms of the US - the president is only one person. The Constitution is our law - our government is made up of three branches - each must work together. A re-election in the US would not be called - there is nothing in the Constitution which says that a certain percentage has to vote. Who ever wins - wins. If people didn't vote - then they didn't vote.

If people don't vote - then they have forfeited their vote. They didn't get a say and must have to go with the winner. If they don't like it - then they can go to the polls the next time. Democracy is about freedom and making a statement. And that to me includes the ability not to vote also. They just have to realize that they are leaving their choice in their neighbor's hand or the person in the next town.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 10-28-2004 at 02:59 PM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

I agree with what you said. It is very similar in Canada. (I have really got to stop making threads on an empty stomach. )

Anarchy may not ensue, but I wonder what the implications would be if something insane like only 1% of people voted. The government would be chosen by those people. And I suppose the other 99% would re-evaluate their position, the next election would be reasonable, and high school students would have another date to memorize.
My next big step was in creating the “LotR Remake” thread, which, to put it lightly, catapulted me into fame.
Quote:
Old 10-28-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
inked
Elf Lord

As you say, Nurv.

The bureacracy would lumber on despite the electoral turnout of 1%. The positions filled. The papers filled out. ...
"And there is always the danger of allowing people to suppose that our modern times are so wholly unlike any other times that the fundamental facts about man's nature have wholly changed with changing circumstances." Dorothy L. Sayers, 1 Sept. 1941
inked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:45 PM   #5
Nurvingiel
Co-President of Entmoot
Super Moderator

Yeah. Hm, I thought this thread might be somewhat interesting, but it turns out that democracy is boring. You win some you lose some.

If it happened in Canada there might be calls to make voting mandatory. There's no call for that now, but only because we have a decent turn-out I think.
Quote:
Old 10-28-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
If it happened in Canada there might be calls to make voting mandatory. There's no call for that now, but only because we have a decent turn-out I think.
I think forcing people to vote is undemocratic. It's personal freedom if a person wants to vote. If someone doesn't feel strongly enough about the place they live in to vote - it should be their choice.

NY news I believe posed this question to people on the streets a couple of days ago. Most felt it would be wrong to force people to the polls. They felt it was very unamerican and infringed on a persons freedom of choice.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote