Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

why do people cut themselves?

Why do peopel cut themselves?

I've knwon a bunch of teens now around my age who have confided in me that they used to cut themselves! And they talk about it so casually too. Luckilly, they don't do it anymore, to my knowledge.

I'm just wondering: why would any sane person cut themselves with a knife or sharp object, inflicting wounds in one's self? It just seems stupid. It's mind boggling.

Anyone have any experience in this?

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Elfmaster XK
Possessive Villain Fancier

A friend of mine does it because she is depressed and goes through stages of intense lethargy. Apparently the cutting helps her get out of that.

Another friend said that they did it when they were angry because they had seen someone else do it. Influences from other people can be very strong.

Depression makes you do weird things that make sense only to you. There's lots of reasons people have given, I used to do it and in my head it made sense, but I'm not going into that.

I wish I had more time then I could elaborate but I'm on a librabry computer.

My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies,
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die,
I can fly - my friends.

XK
Elfmaster XK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 12:19 PM   #3
Starr Polish
Elf Lord

Location: Slow down and I sail on the river, slow down and I walk to the hill
If you want to get really technical, cutting can trigger endorphin release in the brain, which can make someone feel better.

This is a heavy topic and I'm pretty cautious about talking about it, however.

I personally think the people on the internet that go around on the internet and constantly talk about cutting and even TAKE PICTURES and post them on the internet are looking for attention. Yes, they obviously have something wrong with them to cut in the first place, but when it gets to that point I lose most of my sympathy for them.

I'm not saying that all people who cut are like this, but I'm tired of seeing people compare self-inflicted wounds on the internet, or whining about how bad their middle-class life is.

Last edited by Starr Polish : 09-17-2004 at 12:22 PM.
Starr Polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:24 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Its true that cutting at one point in the late 90s really became something of a fashion statement with a certain sect of the teen populace (remember the song Strawberry Gashes? a true goth cult favorite). And some people did it just so they could say they did it too. which of course is disgustingly pitiful. but hey teenagers are followers at heart what can you do. never the less, pop culture aside, cutting is a symptom of a pathology. no doubt about it. often times its a way for someone who feels weak and helpless to find a center or some control in their life. even if they cant control all the crazy stuff going on around them they can at least cause themselves pain... sometimes its a way of reminding oneself that they are alive. what better way then raw pain to cut through the numbing deadness inflicted by a chaotic world. sometimes its a form of self punishment and a release at the same time. i hate myself. i just did something im really mad or embarrassed about. i need to cut to release this tension this feeling that im gonna explode. that kind of thing. theres more reasons too. and im pretty sure weve been through this before in a thread sminty started last year or something. look it up for more info.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I used to cut myself. A lot of it due to the feeling of being helpless, and unable to fight against it. When I was a teen living at home, I went through a lot of shite, and cutting helped me deal with it. My mother was very emotionally controlling, and physically abusive, and self-inflicted harm felt like the only form of control I had over me. People never found out, cos I used to wear a plethora of bracelets over the scars.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #6
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeardofPants
I used to cut myself. A lot of it due to the feeling of being helpless, and unable to fight against it. When I was a teen living at home, I went through a lot of shite, and cutting helped me deal with it. My mother was very emotionally controlling, and physically abusive, and self-inflicted harm felt like the only form of control I had over me. People never found out, cos I used to wear a plethora of bracelets over the scars.
I'm curious, BoP, what made you stop? If you don't mind me asking. Damn, what an awful childhood.

Luckily, I don't know anyone who cuts themselves. Or I don't know if they do.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #7
Elvellyn
The Redneck Elf

I know someone (a friend of mine since we were little girls) who cuts. I asked her the other day why she did it and she struggled to exlain it to me. She said it's like you hurt so much on the inside, that you want a tangible feeling (pain) to show for it. She also stressed that she does not consider herself a masochist; she doesn't enjoy it, just when you are cutting yourself, you aren't thinking about whatever is making you cut yourself. She's gone through some problems with her mom and I'm praying for her.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:01 PM   #8
Shelob's Hubby
Enting

When you feel so bad inside for whatever stupid reason and you can't stop thinking about whatever you did, the only way to stop it is to feel pain.

I think so Brain, but without ears, we look like weasels.

"The next time I lent an ax to a surgeon, I would pick my century." A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

The Last Alliance of Orcs and Spiders
Shelob's Hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

i believe that I am now ready to answer the question of the thread now:
I began to cut myself a while ago, and stopped about 2 year ago. I began because of what can only be described as a form of self-hate, it was not easy growing up in quite a small city if you were not straight, add to that a father who, whilst not being totally homophobic is still not entirely accepting, and it makes for a hard childhood, I had severe clinical depression for about 4 years, from when i was 13, and it always went unnoticed. no one knew about the cutting, which started at about 15, except a very close friend, and he had sworn that he would tell no one, when i first attempted to kill myself people sort of noticed that i wasn't perfectly fine, i tried twice more to kill myself, always overdoses, i was continually cutting, and no one noticed that really, but i went on to anti-depressants for quite a while, 16 until 3 or 4 weeks ago, and now have gone back onto them, through a slight relapse. well, that's it, please don't read any of this if you dnt want to, it seems to be helping me come to terms with myself just by putting it there
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 11:45 PM   #10
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
well, that's it, please don't read any of this if you dnt want to, it seems to be helping me come to terms with myself just by putting it there
A lot of times just talking to people and knowing that there are people out there who understand what you have gone through can be a huge benefit. If you don't open up to people, then it really reinforces the feeling that you are all alone and there is no one to turn to.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Child of Ungoliant
well, that's it, please don't read any of this if you dnt want to, it seems to be helping me come to terms with myself just by putting it there
I am reading this thread with interest, and certainly keep putting your words down if you feel it helps. I'm trying to come to terms with my own cutting. It's something I've done for a long time. But things are looking better for me now, so I hope it's not an issue for me anymore.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:43 PM   #12
Nerdanel
Spammer of the Happy Thread

I agree with cassiopeia (except that i've never cut myself). You are all brave who feel you can talk about this very sensitive and difficult thing.. I hope it somehow helps you.

- C. Sagan

My (photography) website
My Flickr page
Nerdanel is offline   Reply With Quote