Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-22-2004, 01:02 AM   #1
Entlover
Elven Warrior

Lord of the Rings Symphony

Last Friday (7/16/04) I got to attend Howard Shore's LotR Symphony at Benaroyal Hall in Seattle, with the Seattle Symphony. It was six movements, about 2 and a half hours. It was totally worth the $40 I spent on tickets, it was marvellous. I'm not a regular symphony-goer so don't ask me any more. It was accompanied by sketches and drawings by Alan Lee and John Howe (hope I've got the names right, I've mislaid my program.) The Seattle audience was very enthusiastic.
It's happening in about five cities worldwide. I highly recommend it if it comes to your neck of the woods. It was thrilling. You wouldn't think so, since most of us probably have the music memorized, but it was really amazing. And I enjoyed watching Mr. Shore conduct. And the female soloist, whose name utterly escapes me, was fabulous.
Entlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:46 AM   #2
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

Wow, that would be amazing. I love the music from Lord of the Rings and it would be wonderful to see it performed live. They need to come to Atlanta, because that's probably the closest they would come to me. Even though it's still about 4 hours away, I'd bug my parents to let me go.

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #3
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Hmmm..maybe Chicago? I'd pay and drive to hear/see this too! Lucky Entlover!
Old 07-23-2004, 03:34 AM   #4
Elanor the Fair
Elven Warrior

My daughter saw it in Sydney. She said she cried most of the way through it (because it was so emotional!! - not because it was bad ). At the end of the symphony she had her photo taken with Howard Shaw and also got his autograph. He was really nice and very patient with his numerous fans.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:39 AM   #5
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Theoden

Hmmm... I got a mailing that it's coming to Chicago but hadn't really been considering going. Maybe I'll think about it some more. Not really a symphony-goer myself, but there's always a first, right?

(For Lizra and any others close enough to Chicago) It will be at the Auditorium Theatre on October 8th & 9th, 8 pm (CST) and it says it features the great vocalist 'Sissel' (now why is that name familiar? ). Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Uh... I'll ask my wife if she'd like to go, but would it be just too weird for Chicago regional-area 'mooters to meet and see it together? Or rendezvous after the show?

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 07:35 AM   #6
Lizra
Domesticated Swing Babe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Hmmm... I got a mailing that it's coming to Chicago but hadn't really been considering going. Maybe I'll think about it some more. Not really a symphony-goer myself, but there's always a first, right?

(For Lizra and any others close enough to Chicago) It will be at the Auditorium Theatre on October 8th & 9th, 8 pm (CST) and it says it features the great vocalist 'Sissel' (now why is that name familiar? ). Tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

Uh... I'll ask my wife if she'd like to go, but would it be just too weird for Chicago regional-area 'mooters to meet and see it together? Or rendezvous after the show?

Wow! Arty Farty is singing?