Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Movies
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-08-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Parallel

Just realized an interesting parallel which was created by Peter Jackson's changes in the 'Flight to the Ford' scene.

Think of that scene in comparison with Eowyn facing the Witch King.

In the two scenes, we have the two major heroines, both facing down the Witch King, with drawn sword, in defense of a 'fallen' and wounded hero.

Interesting that although Arwen might be considered more powerful, Eowyn was the one who gained the ultimate triumph over the WK. OTOH, Arwen was truly facing all 9.

Discuss...??

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:33 PM   #2
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

one thing that did hit me about jackson's portral... which some have viewed negatively as making arwen a kind of 'sheena'

arwen had absolutely no intention of actually facing the nazgul... she was goading them into the river, so she could cast her 'spell'... so while it took a good deal of bravery on her part, i wouldn't quite put it at the same level as eowyn's physical battle with the witch king

arwen had an ace-in-the-hole... whereas, eowyn must have expected sure death and was willing to sacrifice herself purely to uphold family honor
Old 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM   #3
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownjenkins
arwen had an ace-in-the-hole... whereas, eowyn must have expected sure death and was willing to sacrifice herself purely to uphold family honor
Another difference is that Arwen had magic to draw on (and let's be honest: daddy too if need be ), Éowyn had no such luxury. An interesting parallel, but a bit vague though.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

Yes, though I can see where Valandil's coming from; it seems as if PJ may have taken Eowyn as the role model for this face-off. I thought it worked pretty well as a dramatic thing, though would probably have preferred to have seen Frodo defying the Witch-King to the last, not to mention Glorfindel "revealed in his wrath". oo-er
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Oh, Glorfindel ... *swoon*

Yes, Frodo defying the Witch King at the Ford would have been marvellous to see (if it was done right) - that's one of the best scenes in the book, IMHO.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:04 PM   #6
Rosie Gamgee
The Lovely Hobbit-Lass

At the risk of violating the book-movie separation thing:
YEAH, BABY! Frodo defying the wraiths would have been so much better than that sappy sob-story redition with a lady of immortal grace lowered to riding through mud and bemoaning a moaning hobbit who bears little resemblance (in that moment) to his predecessor.

But, back on track: Interesting parallel indeed. I think Tolkien could have been a director with his knack for drama, as displayed in the scene with Eowyn and the Witch King. Drawing on that to create, for all intents and purposes, a scene boardering on parody (if one can consider duplicating moments in the same story as parody), is indeed quite interesting.

Do I sound vindictive in this post? I'm sorry. I do like the movies, I just seem to be in a bad mood and I don't know why.
How can I take this losing hand and somehow win?

Just give me One Good Year To get my feet back on the ground.
I've been chasing grace; Grace ain't so easily found
One bad hand can devil a man, chase him and carry him down.
I've got to get out of here, just give me One Good Year!
Rosie Gamgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #7
Meriadoc Brandybuck
Magnificent Master of Buckland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valandil
Just realized an interesting parallel which was created by Peter Jackson's changes in the 'Flight to the Ford' scene.

Think of that scene in comparison with Eowyn facing the Witch King.

In the two scenes, we have the two major heroines, both facing down the Witch King, with drawn sword, in defense of a 'fallen' and wounded hero.

Interesting that although Arwen might be considered more powerful, Eowyn was the one who gained the ultimate triumph over the WK. OTOH, Arwen was truly facing all 9.

Discuss...??
Arwen most likely knew what would happen if she tried to slay the Nazgul and did not atempt to do it for that reason. That's my opinion.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't inconvenience me?.-Adrian Monk

Hogan: What's a definate factor that we can count on?
Newkirk: We don't know what we're doing.

Do you wanna split a pineapple? -Shawn Spencer
Meriadoc Brandybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 04:41 PM   #8
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriadoc Brandybuck
Arwen most likely knew what would happen if she tried to slay the Nazgul and did not atempt to do it for that reason. That's my opinion.
What would have happened then, I wonder? In any case Arwen didn't have to try to kill or even fight the ringwraith in armed combat. She probably knew that as well or she wouldn't have turned around at the other edge of the river.