Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2004, 06:24 AM   #1
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

Best City in the World

Once again, Melbourne has been named (one of) the best cities in the world to live in. Despite being infamous for the '4 (Australian) seasons in a Day' weather, we still came out on top with Vancouver and Vienna.

Has anyone else been to/lived in any of the other ranked cities? Do you think they are worthy of their ranking? My city of course deserves its title, as I've constantly reminded people how much better it is than Sydney. Good to see a lot of the other Australia capitals; Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane, are ranked in the top 15 too. Go Australia!

Last edited by Linaewen : 02-06-2004 at 06:27 AM.
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 07:53 AM   #2
Hanza
Woolly Jumper

Location: In my field of paper flowers and candy clouds of lullaby
woohoo go london!!number 45 baby!! lol london isnt that great i dont live in it but just above uit so go here sometimes at the w/e. im a shopoholic so its heaven. but i admit it isnt exactly the best clean city in the world. well done melbourne!

Why dont sheep shrink in the rain??
Hanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #3
Lalaith
The Elvish Temptress

Yihaaa. I love VIENNA. It's such a lovely city and I am so glad to move there in autumn.
Vienna isn't too big but it has everything you need.
A cultural background and lots of sights, parks, a mountain (not really a mountain), shopping streets and everything.

I can only recommend this city to everybody. Great there.

Also been to Dublin (what a city) and London.
Old 02-06-2004, 09:53 AM   #4
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Yay for my old hometown , Van( don't trip over the junkie)couver!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:02 AM   #5
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

santa barbara california has always been one of my favorites

excellent weather, beautiful beaches and within driving distance of the mountains... it's also one of those cities that has everything you could ask for - entertainment, retail and culture - without being too big
Old 02-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #6
Baby-K
Corruptor

Best cities to travel to (2003 rankings)

1 Sydney 87.62
2 Florence 87.14
3 Bangkok 87.11
4 Rome 86.64
5 Cape Town 84.88
6 New York 84.67
7 San Francisco 83.86
8 Venice 83.23
9 Istanbul 83.18
10 Santa Fe 83.08

Top 5 cities for food (2003)

1. New York City (93.97)
2. New Orleans (93.56)
3. San Francisco (93.18)
4. Paris (91.33)
5. Rome (89.25)
Baby-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:03 PM   #7
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby-K
Top 5 cities for food (2003)

1. New York City (93.97)
2. New Orleans (93.56)
3. San Francisco (93.18)
4. Paris (91.33)
5. Rome (89.25)
And that is the truth! I grew up in NY and I wish where I currently live has NY's food Oh, how I miss Little Italy

New Orleans also has amazing food. It's funny too, because NY food and NO food are on opposite ends of the extreme from one another, but they are so damn good! Mmmmm Jumbalaya!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Dúnedain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #8
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Dúnedain
And that is the truth! I grew up in NY and I wish where I currently live has NY's food Oh, how I miss Little Italy

New Orleans also has amazing food. It's funny too, because NY food and NO food are on opposite ends of the extreme from one another, but they are so damn good! Mmmmm Jumbalaya!
How do you like Cincinnati in general? My uncle moved there about 20 years ago - and just thinks it's the best place in the world. I'm sure it doesn't have the culinary variety of a New York or even Chicago though. What ... some notable local ham, right? He's taken me a couple times to a nice restaurant on the Ohio River that specializes in bbq ribs...
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:19 PM   #9
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i was born in new york and miss the food too... even things as simple as pizza, that they just can't get right here in boston

i think ny is probably tops because you can get just about any food from any part of the world prepared by natives of that particular area
Old 02-06-2004, 01:21 PM   #10
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by brownjenkins
i think ny is probably tops because you can get just about any food from any part of the world prepared by natives of that particular area
Yah... we got dat in Chicago too... only better pizza!

(EDIT: PS Lin, is that like an Australian group ranking those cities? And howscum Chicago was not properly and prominently mentioned? In fact, yous gots to go a long ways down your list to see any American city... and the first one shown is way out in Haw-wah-yah! What's up widdat??? )

Last edited by Valandil : 02-06-2004 at 01:23 PM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #11
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

The perfect city should:
- have great food
- have great nightlife that doesn't shut down at 10.30pm (that's London out the window)
- be easy to get around at all times of day and night
- have architecture just sitting there which makes your eyeballs pop out of your head
- not make you feel that you have been mugged every time you buy a drink (again, that's London out the window, along with Paris)

I would say Edinburgh, but that would hardly be an unbiased assessment. Presumably you're not allowed to vote for a city in your own country.

My favourites are Rome, Sydney and Amsterdam. Chicago is the only US city I've been to, but only one night so hardly a representative sample.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #12
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

i've been to chicago and agree about most food... though on the pizza i'll put it neck and neck, they're really two different things

i will say, being a musician myself, you guys have the blues bands hand's down
Old 02-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #13
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
Once again, Melbourne has been named (one of) the best cities in the world to live in.
Many Australian cities on that list. A few Canadian cities too.
Stockholm is ranked 13

Where's Brussels?
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-06-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:14 PM   #14
sun-star
Lady of Letters

I've never been to Australia, so it looks like I'm missing out on five of the best cities in the world...

In fact I've visited very few of the cities on that list - but Paris should be higher up, IMO. It's so beautiful, which is my main criterion. And London rocks, obviously
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 02:17 PM   #15
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Auckland is rated 19 I believe. Not surprising giving that it's one of the largest city in the southern hemisphere. Doesn't exactly lead into easy accessibility...
Old 02-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #16
GrayMouser
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Many Australian cities on that list but well, it's an Australian site. A few Canadian cities too.
Stockholm is ranked 13

I'd love to see Brussels on that list, it is a marvellous city IMO.
No, actually, it comes from the "highly-respected" Economist, the British news magazine (think Time with a higher IQ and a snarky attitude)-(I'm not sure if "highly-respected" is actually part of its name, but it seems obligatory to use when you mention it).

And the list refers to best cities for expatriates , which in Econo-speak refers to businesspeople sent by their companies to other countries.

It refers to among other things, the cost to live at an acceptable "Western corporate" standard (steaks, wine etc) as well as safety, education (for expat kids, not locals) travel, rent for upper-middle class housing etc.

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us, cats look down on us, but pigs treat us as equals."- Winston Churchill
GrayMouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #17
brownjenkins
Advocatus Diaboli

if that's the case then i would suggest they check out the suburbs in most cases
Old 02-06-2004, 03:14 PM   #18
Jonathan
Entmoot Attorney-General,
Equilibrating the Scales of Justice, Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by GrayMouser
And the list refers to best cities for expatriates , which in Econo-speak refers to businesspeople sent by their companies to other countries.

It refers to among other things, the cost to live at an acceptable "Western corporate" standard (steaks, wine etc) as well as safety, education (for expat kids, not locals) travel, rent for upper-middle class housing etc.
Lol, didn't read it properly. Brussels could still be on the list though - it seemed like a good city for expatriates to me. Good beer prices
An unwritten post is a delightful universe of infinite possibilities. Set down one word, however, and it immediately becomes earthbound. Set down one sentence and it’s halfway to being just like every other bloody entry that’s ever been written.

Last edited by Jonathan : 02-06-2004 at 03:20 PM.
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #19
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Valandil
How do you like Cincinnati in general? My uncle moved there about 20 years ago - and just thinks it's the best place in the world. I'm sure it doesn't have the culinary variety of a New York or even Chicago though. What ... some notable local ham, right? He's taken me a couple times to a nice restaurant on the Ohio River that specializes in bbq ribs...
Cincinnati sucks the big one! I hate it, lol. That restaurant is called Montgomery Inn, and I think it's way overrated. Then again, they like some weird stuff out here in Cincinnati. I so can't wait to move again, come summer time I am gone!
'Et Eärello Endorenna utúlien. Sinome maruvan ar Hildinyar tenn' Ambar-metta!' - And those were the words that Elendil spoke when he came up out of the Sea on the wings of the wind: 'Out of the Great Sea to Middle-earth I am come. In this place will I abide, and my heirs, unto the ending of the world.'

'Then Tuor arrayed himself in the hauberk, and set the helm upon his head, and he girt himself with the sword; black were sheath and belt with clasps of silver. Thus armed he went forth from Turgon's hall, and stood upon the high terraces of Taras in the red light of the sun. None were there to see him, as he gazed westward, gleaming in silver and gold, and he knew not that in that hour he appeared as one of the Mighty of the West, and fit to be father of the kings of the Kings of Men beyond the Sea, as it was indeed his doom to be; but in the taking of those arms a change came upon Tuor son of Huor, and his heart grew great within him. And as he stepped down from the doors the swans did him reverence, and plucking each a great feather from their wings they proffered them to him, laying their long necks upon the stone before his feet; and he took the seven feathers and set them in the crest of his helm, and straightway the swans arose and flew north in the sunset, and Tuor saw them no more.' -Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin

"Oh. Forgive me, fairest of all males of Entmoot...Back down, all ye other wannabe fairest males! Dunedain is the fairest!"
--Linaewen
Old 02-06-2004, 03:25 PM   #20
Dúnedain
High King of Númenórë

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan
Many Australian cities on that list. A few Canadian cities too.
Stockholm is ranked 13

Where's Brussels?
*edit* nevermind someone said it...

--Linaewen

Last edited by Dúnedain : 02-06-2004 at 03:26 PM.