Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Lord of the Rings Books
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-15-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

What edition(s) do you have?

I have the 1993 "Centennial" three-volume paperbacks (run by HarperCollins, I think), John Howe art on the cover.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 04:54 PM   #2
zinnite
Elven Warrior

I know this is lame, but I have a Science Fiction Bookclub edition ("omnibus" even ). No art, unfortunately, but at least it's something.
zinnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 05:20 PM   #3
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

I have the 7 volume 2001 edition from Harper Collins. Each book hasm aphoto from the movie, and when they are in the box they spell out TOLKIEN and Lord of the Rings. I like them.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 11:32 PM   #4
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

My first copy was the Ballantine paperback 1971 printing with the unusual cover art. Last year I picked up the red leatherette collector's edition.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 09:55 AM   #5
Elf Girl
Lurker

I have the three book first editions, the ones with the picturesque movie shots on the cover, the ones with shots of movie characters on the cover, a one-book paperback with Gandalf on the cover, and the red leatherette collectors edition.

Yes, I have a lot.
Elf Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 05:45 PM   #6
Sheeana
Lord of the Pants

I have three:
  1. An Unwin 1981 edition (one book)
  2. Harper Collins set with illustrations by Alan Lee
  3. My prized limited edition Folio set. I have a Folio Hobbit as well.
Sheeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2003, 11:53 PM   #7
Linaewen
Fair Dinkum

For LotR, I have one of the 3 volume editions, blue with beautiful John Howe pictures on the cover. The rest of my Tolkien books (Hobbit, Silm and UT) all have black covers with a small picture on the front- Cass & I love 'em! I loathe the movie editions- ugh!
Linaewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 12:04 AM   #8
gollum9630
Canadian Guy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
I loathe the movie editions- ugh!
why, all that they have is a small scene shot on the back of each book. After that there is nothing in the books that concern the movie.

Wierd Harry Potter quotes

the old nintendo duck hunt game

Lemmings

Swron

Random Homer Simpson Quotes
gollum9630 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 05:21 AM   #9
Artanis
Greatest Elven woman of Aman

My Norwegian edition is from 1994 and has paintings by Alan Lee on the front cover. My English edition is Houghton Mifflin, with movie pics on the cover. Both one-volume.
Old 08-17-2003, 05:50 AM   #10
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Linaewen
For LotR, I have one of the 3 volume editions, blue with beautiful John Howe pictures on the cover. The rest of my Tolkien books (Hobbit, Silm and UT) all have black covers with a small picture on the front- Cass & I love 'em! I loathe the movie editions- ugh!
Yes, they are really pretty, but my edition of the LOTR is the movie edition, with the Ringwraiths on the cover. Blame my sister who bought it, not me. It's nearly falling apart because I thumb through it all the time, so I may have to buy a better copy.
Old 08-17-2003, 08:20 AM   #11
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
why, all that they have is a small scene shot on the back of each book. After that there is nothing in the books that concern the movie.
My movie editions all have covers that are one big screenshot.
Old 08-17-2003, 10:55 AM   #12
Varda Oiolosseo
Tea Bag Queen

My LOTR is the film edition 2001 and has a movie shot as the cover.
My Sil and UT and the Hobbit (my new one) are the black covers with small pictures on.

I have a really old Hobbit and it's falling appart it's the Third Edition from 1966.
Varda Oiolosseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2003, 01:53 PM   #13
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Ah! A thread to brag...

I have the First Authorised American-Released Edition of The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion.

I also have the same LotR set as VO, along with the accompanying Sil and others that I haven't read.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:08 PM   #14
durin's bane
Lady of Westernesse

For The Lord of the Rings, I have the 1993 three-volume paperbacks with coverart done by John Howe. My copy of The Hobbit is small and black with a cover done by J.R.R Tolkien.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:47 AM   #15
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I have the Ballantine paperbacks (1965) of the Hobbit and the LoTR (all printed 1977 or 1978) with covers by JRR. They're pretty battered and I need new copies, but can't find any editions that appeal to me as much. I love Tolkien's paintings better than any of the others I've seen.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:49 AM   #16
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

I have a Dutch translation with lovely white covers and gold letters. It's the 43th print from 1997, published by Spectrum. Each book has a different pencil drawing on the front cover and one that runs over the three backs.

I also have one FoTR movie edition, with a picture from the movie. (won it in a contest)

My dad's got the 17th print from 1975. Three books, published by Spectrum. They are seriously battered (one of the reasons I got my own series, I might have read his edition to pieces )

My sister has an English three-in-one-volume edition from 1995 from Harper Collins with a drawing of Gangalf on the cover.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #17
Shadowfax
The Fleet-Footed

For LotR, I have the plain matte black paperbacks (3) each with shiny black sketches on the covers by Tolkien and they have one circle/ring on them too (for FotR it is yellow, TTT it is red, and RotK is green), published by HarperCollins in 1999?(I think). My Hobbit is the same, but it has different designs on it (black on black again). My Sil, and UT match these too (plain black with the little circle pictures by Tolkien). I really like them.

"To remain ignorant of things that happened before you were born is to remain a child" (Cicero, 106-43 B.C.)

"Art is a lie which makes us realize the truth" (Picasso)
Shadowfax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2003, 09:59 AM   #18
Elf Girl
Lurker

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
I have a Dutch translation with lovely white covers and gold letters. It's the 43th print from 1997, published by Spectrum. Each book has a different pencil drawing on the front cover and one that runs over the three backs.
*drools* I wish I could speak Dutch...
Old 08-20-2003, 01:50 PM   #19
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

You're not getting them if that's what you're after. I'v got a Dutch translation of Letters in the same nice white and gold covers as well....
Old 08-20-2003, 04:05 PM   #20
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

That reminds me, I have a Chinese three-volume edition with a movie cover (the hobbits at Weathertop). No, I can't read it. It's interesting, though, because it has an extra appendix that correlates all of Tolkien's names with the Chinese-character equivalents used in the book.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote