Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-25-2002, 07:23 PM   #1
Sween
im quite stupid

UFO's

This seems to be popping up in other threads so i though we may as well have a thread about it.

Do we all believe in them? Think we will see them in our lifetimes? Think the government have allready made contact? If so who knows?

I personally think that there has to be other life out there i mean the universe is pretty damn big. As with people i believe that some will be nice and some will be like us lot.

And if they are out there theres a pretty good chance they know we are here. We are all pretty much young here (well the majority) so do you think we will get interstella travel in ourlifetimes?
Old 08-25-2002, 07:27 PM   #2
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yes I do believe there are Unidentified Flying Objects.

... Oh, did you mean, like aliens and stuff?

Well, I think it's rather dubious that the only place that seems to have alien abductions is American... Land of the Delusional.

Seriously: Sure. I believe that there is life out there. Odds are just too great for there not to be. However, I don't think they take their Saturday picnic trip to earth.

(whoops, flying NOT foreign.)

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 07:29 PM.
BeardofPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 07:31 PM   #3
Sween
im quite stupid

yeah kinda odd how they dont visit anywhere else. Seem to spend a lot of time in the south of america hmmmmmmm could they be taking control of the stupidest people on the planet in an attempt to concer us with bad grammer and inbreading. Wait a minute isnt George Bush from Texas? Its all making sence now .

They have to be out there but what use are we to aliens we would only teach them a few things worth knowing how to cook a balti, how to manage to not get along ever and how to mess up a planet very well in a short space of time.
Old 08-25-2002, 08:48 PM   #4
samwiselvr2008
Elf Lord

I do not think so

I don't know why, I just don't belive in them! It is sorda wierd but I think that we are the only living things (all of Earth) and that ther is no life in space. And since I believe that, then ther is no reson for me to reply to the other questions.

No one kill me!

Movie vewing count from the theater:
Return of the King:9
Two Towers: 11
Fellowship: 13

FRODO LIVES!
samwiselvr2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 09:45 PM   #5
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

It's interesting how this went from about UFOs to making comments about America inside of 2 posts.

There have been UFO sightings all over the world. I'm not sure about the abduction thing. Maybe they just want to study the most intellegent people on the planet so they concentrate around America. Remember all of you are using an American invention right now known as the World Wide Web and the Internet - so lay off already.

And Sween you really shouldn't talk about American's having bad grammar. Only the people in the northern American states can make fun of the people that live in the southern states.

Concerning UFOs - as I said in the ghost thread -

Statistically - UFOs would more likely exist than not. With billions of stars and billions of planets and billions of galaxies and possibly billions of universes and the billions of things that may contain the universes - there is bound to be intelligent life on other planets. Most likely many of them have discovered ways of travel and technologies that is beyond our wildest dreams. Even a hundred years ago - if a person tried to descibe the things we live with on a daily basis - they would not have believed it. Being able to communicate with anyone in the world instantaneously, being able to send pictures, video, audio all in a split second, satelites that can broadcast or display the weather for any part of the globe, spy satelites that can zoom in on a newspaper headline in the Middle East - all this would be incomprehensible to someone from the 1800's. The commercialized World Wide Web is only 10 years old - yet we consider it as a very important part of our lives. Something that I know I have a very hard time living without.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:30 PM   #6
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

UFO's have got to be real. A good deal that you hear about, though, are fake.

Think about it: there are millions upon billions of planets out there highly capable of governing life with similar, if not exact, atmosphere and surface as ours. I mean, to say we're the only ones around implies one huge, useless waste of space. What the heck is it all there for? Cause it certainly isn't all for us.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-25-2002 at 10:33 PM.
Rána Eressëa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:31 PM   #7
Elenka
The Negative Soul of Entmoot

Okay, I know this is more on the alien side of things, but here goes.
Ya know, most peole seem to think that aliens would have super-advanced technology, but I don't understand how we came to think of it. We know of no other planet supporting life. We cannot leave our solar system. Why should aliens do any better than we have?
Also, we are under the idea that aliens would be intelligent. But it is very possible that our first encounter with aliens will be when we make a study of outer-galaxy slugs.
Then remember, aliens will not speak our language. And what ever language they speak, I'm willing to bet it won't have roots in Latin. Leaving us no way to comunnicate.
And lastly, we tend to think that aliens will share earthly, human views, such as it is wrong to kill people. Aliens may have very different views on such matters, which would make it difficult for us to get along.

War doesn't determine who is right - war determines who is left.
Elenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:35 PM   #8
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

There is a possibility of far more intelligent life from ours because they could've been around for thousands or millions of more years than we have. That's why.

There's smart aliens and there's dumb aliens. Believe it or not, to them we'd be aliens. And we're definitely not smart.

Last edited by Rána Eressëa : 08-25-2002 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:41 PM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Well, it really depends on which theory you buy into. Some say that evolution would occur at a similar rate throughout the universe, therefore, they can not be more advanced than us. Some say that divergent evolution IS possible (and hence, non-carbon based life forms possibly, and developing at different speeds from us.)

Also: you have to consider... what are the appropriate conditions for intelligent life? If it is only possible on planets similar to earth, then, it's quite possible that WE ARE the most advanced beings in the universe.

It really depends which theory you buy.

And JD, ease up. It was a joke man. Are you trying to tell me that I'll have to get American residency before I can lampoon americans? Geez, I have just as much derogitory stuff to say about New Zealand as well. You never tell me off for that.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:45 PM   #10
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Elenka
We know of no other planet supporting life. We cannot leave our solar system. Why should aliens do any better than we have?
Is that like less than 10 years ago we didn't think that the volcanic vents in the ocean could support life? Recently we found out that life does exist in those ultra hot areas. Or is it like the fact that less than 50 years ago we couldn't leave our atmosphere? If everyone had your attitude it would have been a miracle if we could even develop an alphabet. We'd still be swinging from the trees in Africa if everyone that came before us looked at only the impossibilities of everything.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #11
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Swean, nevar underestimate hte powur o bad speeling in large numburs.
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 10:48 PM   #12
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Whoops. Wrong button... Move along, nothing to see here.

Last edited by BeardofPants : 08-25-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:50 PM   #13
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by BeardofPants

And JD, ease up. It was a joke man. Are you trying to tell me that I'll have to get American residency before I can lampoon americans? Geez, I have just as much derogitory stuff to say about New Zealand as well. You never tell me off for that.
I had smiley faces on some of the post. But I really don't care what you say about your fellow New Zealanders (Kiwis) - so why should I say something. If you want to say something bad about New Zealand - that's your business. And south versus north thing was directed at Sween and it was a joke - so you should lighten up I think.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-25-2002, 10:51 PM   #14
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I said it first.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:52 PM   #15
Rána Eressëa
The Rogue Elf

I was bringing out the obvious; using planets like ours for example because most people don't believe there could be lifeforms who live off different substances than we do.

And everything is a possibility. Just doesn't mean it's necessarily true.
Old 08-25-2002, 10:53 PM   #16
jerseydevil

Quote:
Tessar's sig
Beardofpants. The blinking sheep and mighty insulter of all things! All bow before the blinking sheep!!!
You're a traitor Tessar.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 08-25-2002, 10:59 PM   #17
LuthienTinuviel
protector of orphaned rabbits

with me having power like god and all (j/k, dont FREAK OUT)
i grant you my personal american citizenship whenever you need to rag on us, BoP. we can trade for however long it takes for you to make that joke and heave it read, then we be back.

don't take me seriusly, ive been travelling all day. OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOooo *shudders*
Old 08-25-2002, 11:01 PM   #18
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Rána Eressëa
And everything is a possibility. Just doesn't mean it's necessarily true.
And I was of course bringing up the other possibility... that we're the biggest accident the universe has known.

Personally, I don't believe that life could be so restricted to convergent evolution. I'd like to think that we (or our carbon copies half way across the universe) are not the sum entirety of existence. On the same token though, I don't see them visiting us either. If I'M not impressed with what we have to offer, then why the hell should they be?

Oh, and we all know what a big greaser Tessar is. We don't need to cover that again.
Old 08-25-2002, 11:02 PM   #19
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

Well with MY super duper godly powers I say she CAN'T rag on Amaricans!
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2002, 11:03 PM   #20
Khamûl
Slacker
Warrior Admin

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." - Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes

Psalm 107:31
Khamûl is offline   Reply With Quote