mithrand1r
Cyber Elf Lord

Syd Barrett dead @ 60 (Pink Floyd)

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stor...n1790469.shtml

Pink Floyd Co-Founder Dead At 60
Syd Barrett Spent His Last Years In Reclusive Anonymity

Quote:
Originally Posted by (CBS/AP)
Syd Barrett, the troubled genius who co-founded Pink Floyd but spent his last years in reclusive anonymity, has died, a spokeswoman for the band said Tuesday. He was 60.

The spokeswoman — who declined to give her name until the band made an official announcement — confirmed media reports that he had died. She said Barrett died several days ago. She did not disclose the cause of death.

Online sources reported that Barrett died July 7 from complications from diabetes.

Barrett co-founded Pink Floyd in 1965 with Roger Waters and wrote many of the band's early songs. The group's jazz-infused rock made them darlings of the London psychedelic scene, and the 1967 album "The Piper at the Gates of Dawn" — largely written by Barrett — was a commercial and critical hit.

Ex-Beatle Paul McCartney and The Who guitarist Pete Townshend are said to be fans of his early work.

Barrett's behavior grew increasingly erratic, and he left the group in 1968. He released two solo albums — "The Madcap Sessions" and "Barrett" in 1970.

He spent much of the rest of his life living quietly in his hometown of Cambridge, England.

The band spokeswoman said a small, private funeral would be held.

Although Syd has been in seclusion for many years, his influence on Pink Floyd was huge. I liked several of his lyrics to early Pink Floyd music. (See Emily Play, Bike and others.)

He will be missed by many in the music world.

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)
mithrand1r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
Butterbeer
Elf Lord

diamond geeza

rip.
Butterbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:55 PM   #3
Elfhelm
Marshal of the Eastmark

Birdy Hop, he do! So long, Syd.

I really didn't like the quote from "his biographer". Aside from the fact that he never authorized a biography, the guy said he only lived half a life. *hisss* Just because he didn't let people into his life after 1970 doesn't mean he wasn't living it. Brother!

I played all my Floyd Syd songs at work. When I get home I'll play the solo albums and then watch Tonight Let's All Make Love in London... after the baseball game (I have priorities, LOL!)
Elfhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

I'm heartbroken. Before, I had at least a very vague and unlikely hope for a Floyd reunion, even though Roger Waters was against it and Syd didn't even want to talk about the band once he'd gone into seclusion.

He'll be missed deeply around here...
Old 07-12-2006, 03:44 AM   #5
The Gaffer
Elf Lord

It's funny how it can be so sad when someone is not not there any more.

Syd was a classic barking genius. It makes me want to buy all those old albums that I only ever had on tape. The only one of his I've got on vinyl is Relics, a good one, but some of the live albums are unmissable.
The Gaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 05:06 AM   #6
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've been playing The Piper at the Gates of Dawn on repeat all day. RIP dude.