Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > J.R.R. Tolkien > Middle Earth
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #1
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Location: somewhere in the solar system... more specifically NJ...
Gandalf What Was the Purpose of the 2 Blue Wizards

In one of the books, Tolkien states that along with Gandalf(the Grey), Saruman(the White) and Radagast(the Brown)
came 2 un-named wizards, and all that we know about them is that they were robed in blue, so the obvious question is, what was the purpose of the 2 Blue wizards, because they are never mentioned in the core LoTR books, and is never mentioned by either Gandalf, Saruman or Radagast. So i would like to hear your ideas...
ItalianLegolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Elemmírë
avocatus diaboli

An interesting question, I think.

This is, of course, mere conjecture, and I could easily be proven wrong by anyone with more knowledge of HoME.

Gandalf (and arguably Radagast, though to a lesser degree) was the only wizard to remain loyal to the cause that the Valar had given them. He was the only one to stand beside the people of Middle Earth against Sauron in the war at the end of the Third Age.

Making him the only one out of 3 wizards, to me, doesn't have as much of an impact as making him the only one out of 5. If 4 fell two inaction (and in Saruman's case, opposition), to me it speaks more for the difficulty of their task, even for Maiar, than if only 2 were disloyal (again, Radagast can be debated).

It's the only idea I can come up with, at present. Anyone else...

btw, I have no documentation, but I've seen in at least one forum the names "Pallando" and "Alatar" given to the blue wizards. Are these real names?

ps... welcome to the Moot, ItalianLegolas! Hope you enjoy it!

Neil Gaiman

Last edited by Elemmírë : 12-05-2004 at 06:35 PM.
Elemmírë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #3
Attalus
Swan-Knight of Dol Amroth

The two Blue Wizards, Alatair and Pallandro, were said by JRRT in the Letters to have gone into the East, presumably to Harad or the environs, and further were said to have failed. I don't have the reference at hand, but a few moments work with the Index should turn them up.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:08 PM   #4
Gwaimir Windgem
Dread Mothy Lord and Halfwitted Apprentice Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemmire
An interesting question, I think.

This is, of course, mere conjecture, and I could easily be proven wrong by anyone with more knowledge of HoME.

Gandalf (and arguably Radagast, though to a lesser degree) was the only wizard to remain loyal to the cause that the Valar had given them. He was the only one to stand beside the people of Middle Earth against Sauron in the war at the end of the Third Age.

Making him the only one out of 3 wizards, to me, doesn't have as much of an impact as making him the only one out of 5. If 4 fell two inaction (and in Saruman's case, opposition), to me it speaks more for the difficulty of their task, even for Maiar, than if only 2 were disloyal (again, Radagast can be debated).

It's the only idea I can come up with, at present. Anyone else...

btw, I have no documentation, but I've seen in at least one forum the names "Pallando" and "Alatar" given to the blue wizards. Are these real names?

ps... welcome to the Moot, ItalianLegolas! Hope you enjoy it!
My understanding is that Tolkien's later thoughts were that they organized a resistance in the East against Sauron?

Pallando and Alatar were their "Valinorean names", as I understand it; I remember reading somewhere their Mannish equivalents, but where, I don't know. I'd like to see them again.

'With a melon?'
- Eric Idle
Gwaimir Windgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:08 PM   #5
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

The purpose of the Blue Wizards was the same as the purpose of the other three.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:40 PM   #6
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

In Radagast's case, i think, it was more of a case of blind trust/stupidity(they may be the same), as opposed to inaction/un-loyalness to the cause.
in response to Wayfarer, if it is true that they went into the East, is it not also possible that they, like Saruman were turned from there good ways and into the Dark-Lords service? Is it also possible, that maybe they came to rule Harad? or did they return to the West with their task unfinished?
ItalianLegolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 07:48 PM   #7
Wayfarer
The Insufferable

Yes.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 AM   #8
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Been a few threads on these guys. A quick search will turn up the threads, and the sources.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 AM   #9
BeardofPants
the Shrike

http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...&threadid=6793
http://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/show...Wizards+colors
http://entmoot.com/showthread.php?s=...ht=blue+wizard
Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 AM   #10
Valandil
High King at Annuminas Administrator

Wayfarer is correct as far as the 'Purpose Statement' goes.

For the names, and a bit more information, there's a section of 'Unfinished Tales' that can be of interest. Appropriately enough, a chapter called 'The Istari'.

Tolkien actually speculates in a couple different directions about them - if he ever made up his mind for sure, I don't know which one he settled on. One - that they either became ineffective or were the source of 'false religions' in the eastern parts of Middle Earth, by which we might guess that the people there were more easily ensnared by Sauron. The other - that they WERE effective and faithful to their purpose - with a sort of 'who knows how bad things would have been without them' kind of statement.

In any case, I believe there's mention someplace that the two went into the east with Saruman, and that he eventually returned alone. Say ... you don't suppose that HE might have ...

Tales of Nolduryon
Visitors Come to Court

Ñ á ë ?* ó ú é ä ï ö Ö ñ É Þ ð ß ® ™

[Xurl=Xhttp://entmoot.tolkientrail.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=ABCXYZ#postABCXYZ]text[/Xurl]

Splitting Threads is SUCH Hard Work!!

Last edited by Valandil : 12-06-2004 at 07:45 AM.
Valandil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:42 AM   #11
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

Nazgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLegolas
In one of the books, Tolkien states that along with Gandalf(the Grey), Saruman(the White) and Radagast(the Brown)
came 2 un-named wizards, and all that we know about them is that they were robed in blue, so the obvious question is, what was the purpose of the 2 Blue wizards, because they are never mentioned in the core LoTR books, and is never mentioned by either Gandalf, Saruman or Radagast. So i would like to hear your ideas...
the purposes of all 5 istari was the succour of men and elves in their struggles against sauron, without seeking to dominate by force or power, and so i would say that is the only answer suitable for this question.
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #12
Pytt
The Supreme Lord of The Northern Eagles

Yeah, that is the definite answer to it, Chrys.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #13
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

well, that is the answer, but what did they do to better the lives of Men, Hobbits,Elves,Dwarves and all the other races of Middle-Earth? What did they do to thwart Sauron in his attempt for world-domination?
Old 01-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #14
Lenya
Elentári

Well Saruman didn't do much at the end cause he went over to the dark side. Gandalf did his bits here and there, like making Frodo take the ring to Rivendell and helping him further on his journey. He also counseled Aragorn and destroyed the Balrog. I don't know what Radagast or the other did but I'm sure they pushed here and pulled there to set things in motion.
Lenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #15
ItalianLegolas
Tolkien-aholic

Gandalf did way more then a little bit, he was, as they say (somewhere) "the architect of Saurons downfall"
Old 01-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #16
Last Child of Ungoliant
The Intermittent One

radagast sought to persuade birds and beasts to become friends of men elves and dwarves
Last Child of Ungoliant is offline   Reply With Quote