Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-11-2004, 12:29 PM   #1
Sminty_Smeagol
Manic Cardboard-Box Dweller

Faith Healings

I was watching Ernest Angley on television today. For the uninformed, Ernest Angley is an evangelist/preacher with a television show/session that comes on from time to time in which he practices 'faith healing', where the physically ailing, injured or disabled come up onto the stage and he puts his hands on them/ sticks his fingers in their ears (in the case of the deaf) etc, does a prayer for healing from 'jesus' and then proceeds to bop them on the forhead, causing them to fall backward into the arms of ushers. He has some money shpeels where he encourages donations. My parents are extreme skeptics of the show, believing him to be blasphemous, and I am not sure. Are 'faith healers' hypnotists whose healing effects are a placebo effect? Or do you believe these people somehow actually have the ability to heal? Religious and nonreligious viewpoints appreciated. We noticed that his show was on at 11 am, when regular churchgoers would probably be at church.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:04 PM   #2
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

what were you doing at home on easter sunday!

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
Sminty_Smeagol

You mean why wasn't I at church? I was. From 8:30 to like 11. The service is only an hour long but my parents talk....
Old 04-11-2004, 01:11 PM   #4
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

you know your thing is full right?

Old 04-11-2004, 01:12 PM   #5
Sminty_Smeagol

haha no I did not. But it isn't anymore
Old 04-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #6
hectorberlioz
Master of Orchestration President Emeritus of Entmoot 2004-2008

Quote:
Originally posted by Sminty_Smeagol
haha no I did not. But it isn't anymore
finally I've been trying to tell you for awhile now, but you never seem to look in the Messages thread.

Acaly und Hektor fur Presidants fur EntMut fur life!
Join the discussion at Entmoot Election 2010.
"Stupidissimo!"~Toscanini
The Da CINDY Code
The Epic Poem Of The Balrog of Entmoot: Here ~NEW!
~
Thinking of summer vacation?
AboutNewJersey.com - NJ Travel & Tourism Guide
hectorberlioz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #7
Sminty_Smeagol

I didn't know what the messages thread was about. Sorry lol! I felt all lonely because you stopped pming me
Old 04-11-2004, 01:30 PM   #8
hectorberlioz

Quote:
I didn't know what the messages thread was about. Sorry lol! I felt all lonely because you stopped pming me
lol! i thought you were mad at me or soemthing because i had joked about you having a pedophile's avatar

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-11-2004, 01:31 PM   #9
Sminty_Smeagol

I thought you were bored of me! Oh Hector I am so glad we are back to PMing eachother! *running hug across big field expanse* Okay anyways does anyone have anything to say about FAITH HEALING?!
Old 04-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #10
hectorberlioz

Quote:
I thought you were bored of me! Oh Hector I am so glad we are back to PMing eachother! *running hug across big field expanse* Okay anyways does anyone have anything to say about FAITH HEALING?!
lol, sorry I'll get back to pming ya!

The Da CINDY Code
~
Old 04-11-2004, 01:43 PM   #11
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Faith healing. Rubbish in my opinion. You cannot 'heal' someone with faith in a God that may not even exist. These people are suckers. Faith healers are just trying to make money, in my opinion they are scams most of the time. And the fact that the show is on at the time when most people are at church is saying something on it's own.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #12
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

I have had many other spiritual experiences that impact the physical realm, including encounters with angels and demons, fulfilled prophesies, and other things. So I know the spiritual experience and the miracle are real from personal experience.

I haven't seen any miraculous healings of that caliber, myself. I can be assured because of the reality of my own experiences that they are real. I have seen at least one miracle of I believe equal greatness to the miraculous healings you describe.

Miracles exist. As far as this television show goes, I can't tell you. I am sure that some fakes do take place, and the devil also possesses power to grant healing. It might be real.
Lief Erikson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #13
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by hectorberlioz
finally I've been trying to tell you for awhile now, but you never seem to look in the Messages thread.
well I think its time to use your office to encourage the um... "entmoot congress" to legislate a bill that would change the current infrustructure such that its impossible to SEND a pm if you cant RECIEVE one. That way everyone would know when its time to empty their things. Makes sense doesnt it? Its so annoying getting pms and when you reply to them it says this persons thing is full. sorry.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:54 PM   #14
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
well I think its time to use your office to encourage the um... "entmoot congress" to legislate a bill that would change the current infrustructure such that its impossible to SEND a pm if you cant RECIEVE one. That way everyone would know when its time to empty their things. Makes sense doesnt it? Its so annoying getting pms and when you reply to them it says this persons thing is full. sorry.
That's funny. I always thought that the messages reserved in the "Sent" section were included in your total of messages. Perhaps I never checked sufficiently carefully.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:55 PM   #15
Tessar
Master and Wielder of the
Cardboard Harp of Gondor

I believe that SOME people are healed by their faith.

Now what I have a hard time swallowing is that some one is running a TV show where it 'works' every time.

By our faith in God, if it's his will he'll restore us, but not by getting bopped on the head . (are you sure he's not holding a stun-gun in that hand? ).
Tessar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 01:57 PM   #16
Lalaith_Elf
Her Infernal Majesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
I have had many other spiritual experiences that impact the physical realm, including encounters with angels and demons, fulfilled prophesies, and other things. So I know the spiritual experience and the miracle are real from personal experience.

I haven't seen any miraculous healings of that caliber, myself. I can be assured because of the reality of my own experiences that they are real. I have seen at least one miracle of I believe equal greatness to the miraculous healings you describe.

Miracles exist. As far as this television show goes, I can't tell you. I am sure that some fakes do take place, and the devil also possesses power to grant healing. It might be real.
I believe in spirituality. My whole life has some sort of connection with that, but I am skeptical about these faith healers. I doubt any of the TV shows have real miracles taking place.
"It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this." - Yamamoto Tsunetomo
Lalaith_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 02:02 PM   #17
Lief Erikson
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally posted by Tessar
I believe that SOME people are healed by their faith.

Now what I have a hard time swallowing is that some one is running a TV show where it 'works' every time.

By our faith in God, if it's his will he'll restore us, but not by getting bopped on the head . (are you sure he's not holding a stun-gun in that hand? ).
Jesus did some rather wierd things too, like putting mud in a person's eyes. People touched Paul with handkerchiefs and brought them back, and their loved ones were healed. Isn't that wierd?

Note to nonbelievers: This is not an invitation to question the Bible. It's an argument from believer to believer.

Last edited by Lief Erikson : 04-11-2004 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #18
hectorberlioz

yeah all these healings on tv...just doesnt work for me. God doesnt want his miracles advertised like that I'm sure

The Da CINDY Code
~

Last edited by hectorberlioz : 04-11-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:59 PM   #19
Sminty_Smeagol

Quote:
Originally posted by Lief Erikson
Jesus did some rather wierd things too, like putting mud in a person's eyes. People touched Paul with handkerchiefs and brought them back, and their loved ones were healed. Isn't that wierd?
That was an extreme time. There had to be some scheme to get people to become christian then. We don't live in as desperate a time now. We have enough evidence now for people to believe, I think there would be more of a reason for there not to be miracles... well not that type. People need faith. If it was made obvious by healing miracles, there would be no need for faith because it would be apparent that it were true.
Btw, I am a believer. I believe that Religion nowadays tends to be a little vacuum people live in to explain the unknown and so that they can naively ignore facts, dwelling in their silly little pietistic world.

Last edited by Sminty_Smeagol : 04-11-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Sminty_Smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 03:02 PM   #20
hectorberlioz

Quote:
That was an extreme time. There had to be some scheme to get people to become christian then. We don't live in as desperate a time now. We have enough evidence now for people to believe, I think there would be more of a reason for there not to be miracles... well not that type. People need faith. If it was made obvious by healing miracles, there would be no need for faith because it would be apparent that it were true.
very true sminty.

The Da CINDY Code
~