Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > Entertainment Forum
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-06-2005, 02:40 AM   #1
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

Favourite Television Series

I have found that the best way - by FAR - of enjoying a TV series is to rent (or buy) the entire season or seasons on DVD, and just watch them like that. I have no patience for normal TV; I cannot abide the constant deluge of advertising or the annoying tendency I'll get to flip channels forever. So, I get them all at once on DVD and THEN it's fun.
Lately, it's been "Alias", such guilty fun! Last year, it was all about "The Sopranos", which I am unashamed to admit I am thoroughly addicted to. Anyone else have any faves that are noteworthy?

~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Lotesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
Andúril
The Original Corruptor

Easily "Lost". It has Locke in it. Yeah.

Last edited by Andúril : 08-06-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Andúril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:10 AM   #3
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Location: Mirkwood, well actually I live in North-west Scania, Sweden
I was actually contemplating buying Smallville seasons 1 - 4, but then I got thinking: How many times will I actually watch them?, they are rather expensive you see, nearly 800 SEK per season, and that's a bit much for a bunch of dvd's.

My favourite tv-series are these:

the first 100 ep's of Friends and the first - fourth seasons of Gilmore Girls and the first - third seasons of Ed. And, of course, Charmed.

CSI, CSI: New York, Navy CIS, JAG.

Midsomer Murders, Morse, Frost and Murder City.
Grey_Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The thing is, Grey Wolf, you can go into any large-chain video rental store and just rent the episodes, rather than having to buy them. I have no idea what you've got available to you there in Sweden, but here in L.A. there's quite a few; the place I've got a membership is blockbuster video which is a great place for stuff like new releases & TV shows. It's a terrible store for classic films and foreign stuff, though; I go to a small independent video rental store for the more eclectic, artistic or cerebral stuff.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

I used to love the show JAG! Those CSI shows look kinda interesting - probably a little gruesome, what with all the autopsy/forensics shots, though.

Old 08-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #6
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
I used to love the show JAG! Those CSI shows look kinda interesting - probably a little gruesome, what with all the autopsy/forensics shots, though.

CSI is a pretty good show. The characters are interesting and the forensics aren't too terribly gruesome or I wouldn't be able to watch it.
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:41 AM   #7
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotesse
The thing is, Grey Wolf, you can go into any large-chain video rental store and just rent the episodes, rather than having to buy them. I have no idea what you've got available to you there in Sweden, but here in L.A. there's quite a few; the place I've got a membership is blockbuster video which is a great place for stuff like new releases & TV shows. It's a terrible store for classic films and foreign stuff, though; I go to a small independent video rental store for the more eclectic, artistic or cerebral stuff.
Perhaps I could get hold of Smallville somewhat cheaper somewhere else (I do have, quite close from where I live, a department store which is pretty well stocked. Perhaps one can order the seasons from them. I will check.)
Old 08-08-2005, 02:03 AM   #8
IronParrot
Fowl Administrator

Three Christmases ago I got a 16-disc box set of three full seasons of my favourite television programme, that being the old British spy show The Avengers. After several years, I'm finally only an episode away from the whole collection.

I love the trend of entire series being released on DVD, though. It's also good if you want to find out more about a series that isn't on television often, as you can go rent a whole season and watch it sequentially. I did that yesterday with Samurai Jack, which I now think is one of the best series I've encountered in years.
All of IronParrot's posts are guaranteed to be 100% intelligent and/or sarcastic, comprising no genetically modified content and tested on no cute furry little animals unless the SPCA is looking elsewhere. If you observe a failure to uphold this warranty, please contact a forum administrator immediately to receive a full refund on your Entmoot registration.

Blog: Nick's Café Canadien
IronParrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 04:44 PM   #9
Acalewia
Halfelven Daughter of the Dunedain, President of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf
I was actually contemplating buying Smallville seasons 1 - 4, but then I got thinking: How many times will I actually watch them?, they are rather expensive you see, nearly 800 SEK per season, and that's a bit much for a bunch of dvd's.

the first 100 ep's of Friends and the first - fourth seasons of Gilmore Girls and the first - third seasons of Ed. And, of course, Charmed.

I watch NCIS. I'm just waiting for it to come out on DVD. I've been missing it since I started this job I'm at.

Don't meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

"Don't be such a sour wolf" Stiles ~ Heart Monitor

http://www.wattpad.com/user/IceQueenofMitera
Acalewia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:33 PM   #10
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I've just gotten into Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and have been buying up all the seasons on DVD. I'm up to season 7 now. Best way to watch shows, IMO, is on DVD. I've also been picking up early ER on DVD (didn't start watching it until season 8 or 9?). Love DVD marathons, particularly since I am on holiday for the next 2.5 weeks.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #11
Hasty Ent
Elf Lord

I've been watching the first five seasons of The West Wing on DVD for the past few months. I agree with BoP and Lotesse, watching a series on DVD is the way to go!

Other favorites (although I have yet to buy any of them): Prisoner, Avengers, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Doctor Who (Tom Baker and before), Upstairs Downstairs, MASH, Hill St Blues, every single PBS Mystery import: Inspector Morse, Sherlock Holmes (with Jeremy Brett), Poirot, Inspector Lynley, Miss Marple, any and all PD James dramatizations.
Hasty Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 AM   #12
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf

To add to the thriller-segment cometh:

The Mysteries of Inspector Lynley, which 4th season is being showed on Swedish Television now.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:21 PM   #13
Lotesse
of the House of Fëanor

The Sopranos!! And guess what - the show's FINALLY starting it's new season, starting in March. YAY!!!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #14
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andúril
Easily "Lost".
Ditto

Quote:
It has Locke in it.
Ditto

Quote:

My dad got the first season of Lost for Christmas, and I just finished it, coincidentally. Locke is by one of the best TV characters I've ever seen, and then there's Hurley too. I'm watching it and I just keep thinking that Locke and Hurley together would equal me, totally. And as for Jack the leader, he's just a crybaby and an idiot. I can't wait till the rest of the survivors start to realise that it's really all about Locke.

Lost is the prime example of a show that you have to watch on DVD to enjoy it. You definately cannot watch out of sequence. Same with Farscape, another of my favorites, but to a lesser extent. My brother got the old Batman animated series and Batman Beyond too, but I've only watched a few of those episodes. Those and CSI (original, I'll settle for Miami, not NY) are at the top of my "watch this" list.

Actually, the only shows I watch that are on TV now are CSI, Law & Order, Simpsons (infinately better than Family Guy, forever), Seinfeld, Late Night w/ Conan O'Brien, and Frasier. If I had cable, then I'd also add Myth Busters, the Shield (I saw the 1st season box set), The Daily Show, History Channel in general, and Star Trek TNG if that's even on anymore.

Last edited by Bombadillo : 01-24-2006 at 12:00 AM.
Bombadillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:37 AM   #15
Grey_Wolf
Elf Lord

Of all the CSI's the New York one is the BEST
Old 01-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #16
Bombadillo
"The Bomb"

No! Well, OK I watched just one episode, but it was so superficial. A woman pretended that her husband beat her once so her brother actually stalked and killed him in cold blood. It was such an unrealistic motive.

I like Grissom anyway.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I *hate* all the CSIs. Seriously though, they're all freakin' borin'.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:43 PM   #18
b.banner
Elf Lord

Location: Trying to keep a hold on my temper so I don't turn into a big green guy.
Lost,Smallville and Macgyver do old shows count?i just recently watched all of Lost until the latest episode i cant wait until next week they are going to have a new episode of both Lost and Smallville!
"We are going to tickle some Aes Sedai under the chin, rescue a mule, and put a snip-nosed girl on the Lion Throne. Oh, yes. That's Aviendha. Don't look at her cross-wise or she'll try to cut your throat and probably slit her own by mistake."-Mat Cauthon from Wheel of Time

"Don't make me angry, you wouldn't like me when I'm angry...."-Dr. Bruce Banner
HULK
BATMAN
THE FLASH

Last edited by b.banner : 01-07-2006 at 01:45 PM.
b.banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #19
cee2lee2
Elf Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.banner
Lost,Smallville and Macgyver do old shows count?...

Of course they count! Especially Macgyver One of MY all time favorites/
cee2lee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:39 AM   #20
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I had such a HUUUUUGE crush on Richard Dean Anderson when I was growing up (Macgyver!). Ah, who am I kidding - he still tickles my funnybone. ::leer::