Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 07-04-2000, 03:38 PM   #1
thrawn96

Happy 4th of July!!

Yay! It's America's 226th bithday! God Bless America! I hope no terrorist attacks occur in Washington DC.

What's everyone doing today? Well, my family is just pretty much hanging out. We're gonna take the dog to the park later, and then have a BBQ dinner. And please, I would apreciate it if Iron Parot doesn't diss America in the topic, for I did not diss Canada in the Canada Day thing. But anyone here is welcome to diss Canada.
Old 07-04-2000, 04:19 PM   #2
bmilder

Hi, I'm in New York for that opsail thing!
Old 07-04-2000, 04:20 PM   #3
Fat middle

Re: Happy 4th of July!!

happy "birthday"!

i feel like an Ent amongst you, being from a city more than 3,000 years old...
Old 07-04-2000, 05:45 PM   #4
anduin

test

Weird....Ben user title is ezOP, FM and Thrawn are listed as registered users.....but when I made this test post it listed me as Ent, Master of the Forest, as it should.....weird.
Old 07-04-2000, 07:57 PM   #5
RKittle

EZboard's newest version took over today and erased the old User Level names (did it over at my place, too). But the new version allows board ops to set as many different User Levels (and assign a # of post to achieve each level) as we like and to give them each a name. Works out pretty cool, really.
Old 07-04-2000, 08:14 PM   #6
Fat middle

Re: ...

hey, Ben, did you see the Elcano? it´s the Spanish "school-ship", a large white vessel with four masts.

i think it´s one of the fairest vessels of the world
Old 07-05-2000, 01:19 AM   #7
thrawn96

Ben, were you there for the fireworks? Wow! I just watched those on TV. Thousands upon thousands were shot off. It was magnificant! I wonder why they couldn't but on such a great show for New Years Eve. It was probably better for Ben cuz he was actually there. Was it loud?
Old 07-05-2000, 02:46 AM   #8
galpsi

Was it Hudson or East River this year?
Old 07-05-2000, 11:08 AM   #9
anduin

Oh yeah :)

Thanks RKittle, I forgot that we had a small discussion about that in the Mod forum, but since most of the admins/mods are a.w.o.l. I don't think that it was ever decided whether we are going to adopt the new system.
Old 07-05-2000, 06:36 PM   #10
Darth Tater

Re: Oh yeah :)

Um, it's America's 224th birthday.
Old 07-06-2000, 12:53 AM   #11
bmilder

Re: Oh yeah :)

Hehe, I was going to point that out too.

Anyway, I am back. We went on the afternoon of July 3rd and were going to a concert of the New York Pops. We got very good seats. Unfortunately, a big thunderstorm came with huge gusts of wind and blew off parts of the stage and the chairs, so it was cancelled .

The next day we got up early and went to OpSail. We got a good spot in the front, and saw all the ships. They were nice, but after awhile it got kind of boring. Then we went to the South Street Seaport and saw some ships that were berthed there. That's also when I had the chance to use the Internet for one minute when I posted the message above. Then we got seats in the front that night for the fireworks. They were good, but not incredibly good as some people said. The smiley face fireworks were cute.

Then we stayed overnight and boarded some of the ships earlier today. So many streets were closed off because of President Clinton's visit. It was very annoying. Then we decided to visit the Intrepid warship and took a long subway trip and walk to get there- to find out it was closed, because the President was visiting in several hours! Then we took a bus back to the apartment, but they kicked us off the bus- because the streets were closed for the President's visit! Then we tried to get home, but it took 3 hours because the Lincoln Tunnel was mostly closed! It was awful. But luckily I am back now
Old 07-06-2000, 12:53 AM   #12
captain Tarpols

:P

it was on the Hudson rive (i think) we saw ALL of the tall ships as they went by (we had a GREAT spot). there were tug boats shooting off red,white,and blue water. then came the tall ships, there were ALOT and they were from all over the world. The first in line was the EAGLE. I'll just tell you the ships that we actually went on : The Barque EAGLE, The Brig Niagara, The Danmark, The Kaiwo Maru (that was the biggest tall ship, it was built in 1989 so it was nice, new , and shiny (sp?))., we went on some cool ship from Belgum (sp?), and we went on the ship from Ukraine (they came here on their own expenses so they had a boat load of merchendise to pay for it ). We did see other ships up close, but they weren't letting peopl on them. The EAGLE was giving out cool commemerative coins. Let's see umm... Ben was cranky and wasn't too excited about going . We also saw the cool Steath Bomber (sp?) We saw the fire works too, they were just ok. We have seen better when we went to Montreal (sp?). Ben posted his message from a cow t a mall. REALLY! NY is having a cow parade or something and there are cows everywhere! that one had a computer attached. Ben might have something to add.

P.S. sorry for the spelling errors (if there are any), and sorry for not writing in paragrapgh form
Old 07-06-2000, 12:55 AM   #13
captain Tarpols

:p

nottice how Ben's post was posted acouple SECONDS before mine, but i think that mine is ALITTLE more descriptive. what do you think?
Old 07-06-2000, 12:58 AM   #14
HOBBIT

testing title

(testing title) also, besides testing my title, i would like to add that ben talking about our whole stay in Manhatten in general. i mostly talked about OPSAIL.
Old 07-06-2000, 01:05 AM   #15
HOBBIT

fat middle

to answer your question, no we did not see the Elcano at any port that we went too. But it is listed as #22 in the parade of ships. Here is some info for you :

Length : 370 feet
Rig: Topsail schooner
Hull: Steel
Sail area: 26,555 square feet
Built: 1927, Bilbao, (almost sounds like a hobbit, huh?) Spain
Homeport: Cadiz, Spain
Flag: Spain.

it's ull name is : Juan Sebastian De Elcano. if you are wondering how i know this, i picked up the program for op sail and i got the stuff that the ships gave out.

is that the ship that you speak of?, fat mid. if not,
Old 07-06-2000, 03:37 AM   #16
arynetrek

Re: fat middle

i went to my dad's friends' ranch & blew things up. then i ran around stomping out grassfires...

so what's with the new user-titles? can i be an elf, or is this a privelage only reserved for the admin's brothers? :lol:

aryne *
Old 07-06-2000, 03:03 PM   #17
bmilder

Btw, good job on getting 86 posts at Entmoot on July 3rd, considering I left that afternoon . Btw, we got over 100 posts yesterday.
Old 07-06-2000, 05:31 PM   #18
Fat middle

yep, that´s the ship Tarps. You loose a great chance to see it, but now here you have it

nice, eh?

it has rounded 7 times the world. First time in 1928.
Old 07-06-2000, 06:37 PM   #19
HOBBIT

:P

i might be able to see it. It depends on what port it is at. Tommorow i am going back into the city to see the ships that we missed and to see the big battleships. (don''t worry, Ben isn't coming so he will be online tommorow ) BTW, that is a nice looking ship!
Old 07-06-2000, 06:39 PM   #20
IronParrot

WOW!

I want one!