Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-14-2002, 02:57 PM   #1
sun-star
Lady of Letters

World Cup

The football/soccer one, that is.

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere. Does an interest in Tolkien preclude an interest in sport?

So who's going to win? I'd like to say England will, but they probably won't, as usual. Any predictions? Germany, Italy, Brazil... maybe even the USA?
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:19 PM   #2
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

I like soccer!

I don't think US have a chance. Germany won't win too. no chance. Brazil.... maybe, can't believe. Italy... I don't think so, they were really bad til now. I don't think England is gonna win too. I guess Spain will...
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:23 PM   #3
Garina
Elf Lord

NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
My refuge from football has been polluted! Even worse, people are calling it soccer! This is not to be borne!

Sorry, I have 2 football mad brothers. We have World Cup overdrive in my house. Some people just don't get the whole "it's only a game" thing!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 04:55 PM   #4
Radagast The Brown
Elf Lord

Hey you! soccer (ok - football) is a great game. That's an international game... all the world like this game so.... ....we have to talk on this even here, in the moot.
Radagast The Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 06:30 PM   #5
BeardofPants
the Shrike

I don't normally watch it, but this time 'round I decided to educate myself. Talk about nerve wracking! Last night I watched the Portugal-Korea death match (live) and By George, I have no nails left! I HATE Korea!! They kept crowding the poor under-teamed Portuguese!

The match b/n Brazil and Sweden (?) was amazing to watch, especially that backward/sideways flip kick thing. Did anyone else see this match?
Old 06-14-2002, 09:12 PM   #6
Treebeard's apprentice
Elven Warrior

I don't really have anything against football (soccer) and its fans, but I don't like it myself. I don't know why, but I just can't get excited about it.

The thing that really confuses me is the whole World Cup/ tournament advancement thing. I mean, USA just got plowed over today, but someone told me they still advance. How?
Treebeard's apprentice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 09:22 PM   #7
Comic Book Guy
Best Ex-Administrator ever

All of the 32 teams who qualified for the World Cup are first separated into leagues of four, the four teams all play eachover once. If you win a game you recieve three points, a draw you recieve 1 point and if lose you recieve 0 points. The two teams with the highest points go through into the next round. USA still had more points than than Portugal and Poland and could progress.
Comic Book Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 10:36 PM   #8
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

I love soccer!!!!! (Okay, oyu British folk can call it football if you want, but man, that's just too different for me!) I've only had the chance to watch 2 games so far but I plan on watching more! I really don't know who's gonna win but I'm cheering for England, Irealnd, Spain and the US anywhoo.

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:29 AM   #9
Garina
Elf Lord

The thing that confuses me is that Americans call a game where you pick up the ball and run with it football!

American football looks like rugby with protective armour!

England v Denmark today. I don't need to watch it - I will know when a goal is scored by the roar that goes up for about 10 streets around!
Entmoot Resident Bard #2
Wielder of the shiny fire extinguisher
Worshipper of the divine cheesecake

Hamsters and Rangers everywhere, rejoice!!! Minsc, Baldur's Gate 2
Children, don't take drugs. Become a pop star, then people give them to you for free!!! - Billy Mack, Love Actually.

While I'm sure the nice people from the local archery club meant well, a moment's consideration would have made them realise that giving my friend and I lethal weapons was probably not a good idea!

Dammit, eyeliner and dreadlocks should not be that sexy!
Garina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 02:36 PM   #10
galadriel88
Halfwitted Queen of Lothlorien

And why do you English people tack on extra u's and e's on your words? Like armor, not armour, and color, not colour, and shop, not shoppe!

+Every good thing that comes into my life is only a reflection of the greatest gift of all; the offering of yourself, dear Son of God+

Always remember, you're uniqe, just like everybody else!

"The one constant through all the years has been the Trombone. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. Its been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again, but the Trombone has marked the time. This field, this section, this band is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and could be again. Oh, people will come . . . people will most definitely come."
galadriel88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:20 PM   #11
Claenoic
Queen of Prolonged, Unexplained Absences

Me? Well, I'm cheering for U.S.A. and Brazil. I'm Korean, so heck, I'm cheering for them too. Did you know that one of the Koreans is a model and he looks like an oriental hobbit? I tease my mom about it. Whenever he comes onscreen I scream, "IT'S THE ORIENTAL HOBBIT!!!!!" and she chases after me all around the house screaming, "HE'S NOT A HOBBIT!" The only problem is that he's pretty tall for a Korean. I don't care though. HE'S A HOOOOOOBBIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!!!! Ok, I'll stop my random ramblings.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Queen of prolonged unexplained absences and long, loooong car rides.

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!

Last edited by Claenoic : 06-15-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Claenoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #12
Claenoic

Repeat. Void.

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Well, hullo everyone. As you can see, I don't hang out here muchly anymore. There's a good reason for this. Y'see, I've been hanging out at a different chatboard called Cardboardia. So far, I've been havin' a blast. Not that I don't love the TLA, but the magic of Entmoot is lost on me. So, as soon as TLA ends, so will my existance here, probably.

Who knows though? I might stay. Highly unlikely however. This is a good bye in advance, then. Unless you want to join me and my group of friends at Cardboardia.

Cheers!

Last edited by Claenoic : 06-16-2002 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-15-2002, 03:54 PM   #13
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by galadriel88
And why do you English people tack on extra u's and e's on your words? Like armor, not armour, and color, not colour, and shop, not shoppe!
Eh? There is rather a huge clue in the name of the Language you see; it's called English. It is the language of the English; who live in a place called England. So, in terms of the US, England English was there before US English (on account of us being the older country).So, what blows your argument out of the water, is why do you remove them?

And on a side note we don't spell 'shop' 'shoppe',
'shoppe' is Old English just like 'ye' and 'notte'.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:25 PM   #14
Omacpheete
Sapling

I have no idea. Hope its the U.S. Could you tell me when it is?
Omacpheete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2002, 04:29 PM   #15
Mirahzi
Elf Lord

Yeah, but we're bigger
We Americans speak a different dialect of English than you Brits. Just like Spanish (as in from Spain) speak a different dialect than Mexicans.

Yay! Go Korea!
Old 06-15-2002, 04:31 PM   #16
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Quote:
Originally posted by Mirahzi
Yeah, but we're bigger
Typical 'merikan!

But England has the commonwealth.

Ergh. Korea CHEATS. They swarm on the players with the ball.
Old 06-15-2002, 04:41 PM   #17
sun-star
Lady of Letters

Quote:
Could you tell me when it is?
When what is? The final's on June 30th, I think.
For centuries to come, when not a soul
Is left to picnic on the blazing rocks,
When England is not England, when mankind
Has blown himself to pieces. Still the sea,
Consolingly disastrous, will return
While the strange starfish, hugely magnified,
Waits in the jewelled basin of a pool.
sun-star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 05:08 AM   #18
Radagast
Elven Warrior

Just to clarify, if you count what is left of the British Empire then that actually makes us bigger than the US.

Falkland Islands, Australia, New Zealand (I believe anyway?), Canada (however much they resent it), two new African nations which I cannot remember the name of and some more.
And bid the sickness cease;
And when your goal is nearest
(The end for others sought)
Watch sloth and heathen folly
Bring all your hope to nought.
Radagast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 05:23 AM   #19
BeardofPants
the Shrike

Yep, we're still part of the commonwealth... too lazy to go republic! However, Aussie tried recently, but couldn't swing the vote.
Old 06-16-2002, 03:15 PM   #20
Claenoic

*shrugs* I don't know about cheating. Is swarming a player cheating? Still...

KP!!!

FREAK RAIN!!!!!!!! O.o

Cheers!