Entmoot

Go Back   Entmoot > Other Topics > General Messages
FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-31-2003, 09:25 PM   #761
HOBBIT
Saviour of Entmoot Admiral

Quote:
Originally posted by gollum9630
some one had to creat the ameobas, there for God created evolution.
the matter that became amebas came from the big bang. where did that come from? i'm not familiar with the current theory. where did matter come from? was it always there? how did life start? im no scientist. but we do not know everything.

Saying "where did the matter come from?" "GOD OBVIOUSLY CREATED IT" does not make sense. Oh we can't explain it, therefore a super being made it? NO!

Plus, you can say where did the matter come from - god made it. Where did god come from?! If god could always have been there, why can't matter always have been there? Its being very hypocritical.

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Latest Blog Post: Just Quit Facebook? No One Cares!
HOBBIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:27 PM   #762
Insidious Rex
Quasi Evil

Quote:
Originally posted by Lady of Rohan
In my oppinion no. Nothing should be taught in school (j/k ).

But seriously, evoulotion should be taought in school. It is science. The poeple who belive that Adem and Eve theory, and don't care about the monkey one, can go to a religious school.
Great post Lady.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
Insidious Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 09:31 PM   #763
Lady of Rohan
Doughy Elf

Quote:
Originally posted by Insidious Rex
Great post Lady.
Lol. Thank'ee.
Lady of Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:55 PM   #764
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Each side (ev. and cbid) gets 1 free pass good for NOT explaining where the original stuff (big bang material for evolution theory, God for cbid theory) comes from. Seems fair, doesn't it?

Great post, LoR!!

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Entmoot : Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I got hooked!

Ego numquam pronunciare mendacium, sed ego sum homo indomitus!
Run the earth and watch the sky ... Auta i lómë! Aurë entuluva!
Rían is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:32 AM   #765
Giroth
The Dragonqueen

HOBBIT,I was talking about the title of this thread; "should evolution be taught in scools?"

I just said that question was like asking if other unreal things should be taught in school.EVOLUTION AIN"T REAL,PEOPLE!wahahaaaaaaa!LOL

I don't say god created
earth because I believe there is no other way......I believe it because it is truth.
Think as you will...........but evolution is, in my opinion, foolish,incomplete,nonsense,
and crud.It doesn't add up at all.LOL

And the earth did what?pop up out of nowhere?did it evolve from a rock?the process could go on,and on,and on.......hehehehehahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

wOOOOt!

Giroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:23 AM   #766
cassiopeia
Viggoholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
I don't say god created
earth because I believe there is no other way......I believe it because it is truth.
Think as you will...........but evolution is, in my opinion, foolish,incomplete,nonsense,
You know, I could really get offended by that. What if I said that about creationism? I think you should really read a little about evolution before saying that it's a load of crap.

The Earth (and the planets and the sun) came from 'star stuff' (the remains of a star that had gone supernove). That star perhaps (and most probably) came from the remants of the Big Bang, where all energy and matter was created. And there is very, very strong evidence that the Big Bang happened. So the Earth didn't spring out of nowhere, the universe did!

Blah. I'm too lazy to write anymore. And probably woudn't be much use anyway.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:37 AM   #767
jerseydevil
I am Freddie/UNDERCOVER/ Founder of The Great Continent of Entmoot

Quote:
Originally posted by RÃ*an
Each side (ev. and cbid) gets 1 free pass good for NOT explaining where the original stuff (big bang material for evolution theory, God for cbid theory) comes from. Seems fair, doesn't it?

Great post, LoR!!
No- because unlike creationism - science doesn't claim everything is known. They also are searching for the origins and cause of the Big Bang. Under your feelings- it seems as if if you don't understand it - then you can just explain it away as being god and be done with it. Science tries pieciing the puzzle together and is always searching for the TRUTH - not something that they just believe to be the truth.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

Memorial to the Twin Towers
New Jersey Map
Fellowship of the Messageboard
Legend of the Jersey Devil
Support New Jersey's Liberty Tower
Peacefire.org

AboutNewJersey.com - New Jersey
Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-01-2003 at 02:38 AM.
jerseydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:51 AM   #768
Rían
Half-Elven Princess of Rabbit Trails and Harp-Wielding Administrator (beware the Rubber Chicken of Doom!)

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
...Under your feelings- it seems as if if you don't understand it - then you can just explain it away as being god and be done with it....
Oh, is THAT what you think creationism is?

JD's idea of what CBID involves: [start CBID statement] God did it [end CBID statement]

There's a little more to it, if you look into it.

And my point is still valid - neither ev nor cbid can explain the first occurance of the initial stuff - ev. says the initial stuff is whatever was behind the Big Bang (correct me if I'm wrong, please) and cbid says the initial stuff is an intelligent, powerful being.

"How lovely are Thy dwelling places, O Lord of hosts! ... For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside." (from Psalm 84) * * * God rocks!

Old 06-01-2003, 03:04 AM   #769
jerseydevil

Quote:
Oh, is THAT what you think creationism is?

JD's idea of what CBID involves: [start CBID statement] God did it [end CBID statement]
Yes that is basically what creationism is. And that is what anyone who believes in Intelligent design can say. If I ask why humans have five fingers - you don't have to look for a reason - you can just say ""well god did it that way". If I ask you why Australia has so many animals that are found no where else in the world - you don't have to look at a reason - you can just say again "God put them there".
Quote:

There's a little more to it, if you look into it.
I have looked into it - and basically Intelligent Design is just religious groups trying to shoehorn evolution into the concept of god and a supernatural being. If they can't get creationism into the schools - they feel they can rework it into a theory whereby someone controls the evolution. To me it's no different than the Greeks and Romans believing that their gods controlled and used people as their play things.
Quote:

And my point is still valid - neither ev nor cbid can explain the first occurance of the initial stuff - ev. says the initial stuff is whatever was behind the Big Bang (correct me if I'm wrong, please) and cbid says the initial stuff is an intelligent, powerful being.
Up to a point yes - but by you saying that a super human being is involved - you don't have to look any further - you just have to believe it. Scientists however ARE looking at what is behind the Big Bang. The Big Bang isn't the do all and end of the scientific study, maybe you should get a subscription to Discover Magazine to see all the studies being done on Evolution and the Big Bang Theory and before.

"The only thing better than a great plan is implementing a great plan" - JerseyDevil

"If everyone agreed with me all the time, everything would be just fine"- JerseyDevil

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-01-2003 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #770
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Giroth
...EVOLUTION AIN"T REAL,PEOPLE!wahahaaaaaaa!LOL
...Think as you will...........but evolution is, in my opinion, foolish,incomplete,nonsense,

And the earth did what?pop up out of nowhere?did it evolve from a rock?the process could go on,and on,and on.......hehehehehahahahahaa!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are in a happy place, because ignorance is bliss.
Ruinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 01:22 PM   #771
Rían

Quote:
Originally posted by jerseydevil
......Up to a point yes - but by you saying that a super human being is involved - you don't have to look any further - you just have to believe it. Scientists however ARE looking at what is behind the Big Bang.
You can take it back all you want, JD - what is BEHIND the Big Bang, what is BEHIND what is BEHIND the BB, what is BEHIND what is BEHIND what is BEHIND the BB - you will eventually, when you stop trying to cover up, realize that my point is completely valid - each theory has a starting point that they will NEVER be able to scientifically explain. Are you honest enough to admit that, or do you honestly not see my point?

Quote:
The Big Bang isn't the do all and end of the scientific study, maybe you should get a subscription to Discover Magazine to see all the studies being done on Evolution and the Big Bang Theory and before.
Did I say it was the do all and end all? I was discussing the BB SOLELY because my point was about the "initial stuff" behind each theory. I fully realize there are other aspects of the theory of evolution. Is it your contention that one is an idiot if one does not subscribe to Discover Magazine? Personally, I think that a magazine related to a TV show would not be at the height of scientific periodicals ..... It's your choice, but I would appreciate if you would not be so condescending towards me. I probably have more of a scientific background than you do, anyway.

Last edited by Rían : 06-01-2003 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:41 PM   #772
Ruinel
Banned

Quote:
...- you will eventually, when you stop trying to cover up, realize that my point is completely valid - each theory has a starting point that they will NEVER be able to scientifically explain. Are you honest enough to admit that, or do you honestly not see my point?
Then it would be perfectly valid for me to say that I created the universe. And you could not argue against me, because I believe it to be so, though I have no evidence to support it, just as you have no evidence to support that a supernatural being created this universe.

Quote:
...Is it your contention that one is an idiot if one does not subscribe to Discover Magazine? ....
Better to get a subscription to the Journal Nature. It will run you about $300/yr (well, with discount anyway). Popular Science is very much for the everyday person and not too much for the person with a science background. Discover is a bit of a cut above, with far more details and more interesting information. It would be considered more cutting edge than Popular Science Magazine but still can be understood by the average Joe (I think.. I hope).
Old 06-01-2003, 02:03 PM   #773
Cirdan
Elf Lord of the Grey Havens

The fact that there is a limit as to what we can know does not make all ideas equal except in certainty. There are also the aspect of plausability and substantiation. I don't think anyone is trying to teach theories about the absolute unknown. ID also tends to equivocate god and nature thereby losing most of it's theistic aspect an thus most of it's prime motive.
There exists a limit to the force even ther most powerful may apply without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a tool of vengance, never a hostage, nor a fortification against the martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape the consequences.

-Muad'dib on Law
The Stilgar Commentary
Cirdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2003, 02:12 PM   #774
HOBBIT

Yes, Giroth I know that you were saying No to evolution being taught in schools... i was asking "what are you talking about?" because WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

you are obviously very ignorant. *resists flaming after reading giroth's posts*

"I'm up to here with cool, ok? I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis" - Zaphod Beeblebrox

Old 06-01-2003, 02:16 PM   #775
jerseydevil

Quote:
You can take it back all you want, JD - what is BEHIND the Big Bang, what is BEHIND what is BEHIND the BB, what is BEHIND what is BEHIND what is BEHIND the BB - you will eventually, when you stop trying to cover up, realize that my point is completely valid - each theory has a starting point that they will NEVER be able to scientifically explain. Are you honest enough to admit that, or do you honestly not see my point?
I agree there will always be something else to LEARN, but your beliefs don't require further learning - all you have to do is just stop and say "God did it" and be done with it. Whatever isn't understood is god. It has been that way since man has been on earth. It used to be believed that solar eclipses were caused by the gods anger too or that the reason a city was rocked by a volcano was because the gods were angry. I don't see much difference in the mythical being that modern Christianity or any other religion today believes in - than what the people in ancient civilisations believed in.

Quote:

Did I say it was the do all and end all? I was discussing the BB SOLELY because my point was about the "initial stuff" behind each theory. I fully realize there are other aspects of the theory of evolution.
That's good. But where is religion trying to find the truth? The key aspect of religion is to have belief and not to question. The main point of science it to question. Without questioning - people would still think you'd fall of the face of the earth or that the earth was the center of everything. Religion was FORCED to accept these things because they had no choice. Now they are coming to terms with evolution - but they still need to fit god in there or else it destroys the whole belief system. I'm sorry - I just don't believe in a mythical being that controls or created everything. There is a logical and scientific explanation of why we are here and where everything came from and I just want to search for the truth.
Quote:

Is it your contention that one is an idiot if one does not subscribe to Discover Magazine?
No - I just think that you are a religious person that has strong beliefs. I don't think you are really into searching for the TRUTH though - I think you just want the information that supports your established beliefs.
Quote:

Personally, I think that a magazine related to a TV show would not be at the height of scientific periodicals .....
The CABLE station came afterward and is relatively brand new (with digital cable). Discover magazine has been around A LOT longer. Obviously you know nothing abotu Discover Magazine and just quickly glanced at the website and assumed it was a tv show.
Quote:

It's your choice, but I would appreciate if you would not be so condescending towards me. I probably have more of a scientific background than you do, anyway.
Talk about being condescending.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Last edited by jerseydevil : 06-01-2003 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:19 PM   #776
Earniel
The Chocoholic Sea Elf Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
you are obviously very ignorant. *resists flaming after reading giroth's posts*
Tssk tssk. Is that the right attitude for a administrator?
Old 06-01-2003, 02:20 PM   #777
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by Eärniel
Tssk tssk. Is that the right attitude for a administrator?
I like that - a moderator - moderating an admin.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-01-2003, 02:26 PM   #778
HOBBIT

hey - im just stating the truth. you can call someone ignorant on this board :P (if they really are - look up definition).

At least I did not call him an ignorant fool.

Old 06-01-2003, 02:28 PM   #779
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally posted by HOBBIT
hey - im just stating the truth. you can call someone ignorant on this board :P (if they really are - look up definition).

At least I did not call him an ignorant fool.
Like you felt like doing.

AboutNewJersey.com
New Jersey MessageBoard
Another Tolkien Forum

New Jersey Map
Peacefire.org

Travel and Tourism Guide

Old 06-01-2003, 02:29 PM   #780
Ruinel
Banned

Religion is not a truth seeking establishment. It's followers are expected to follow the doctrine and beliefs of that religion without question. Science allows for question. Questioning the established information is the basis for science. This is why a religion is a belief system. You have to believe it without question and have faith that it's doctrine is the truth without proof. No, before you get all your christain panties in a twist, I am not saying that science is a religion. I am using a comparison. So, be religious, by all means. Believe the doctrine and the stories past on by primitive people as truth about your world. But please do not push your belief system on the rest of the world.

Some Native American tribes believe that at the beginning of the world a creator turned people into animals. This is the basis for their traditional bond with the animal world. It is brought into some ceremonies.

If we are going to be fair to all cultures, perhaps we should bring this belief into the science classroom as well. We can spend an entire year going through belief systems and how each religion and society views creation. Would that satify you? Or don't you think it would be a waste of time and money to have kids learn every single view in the world by every single culture that ever existed?
Quote:
Originally posted by Cirdan
The fact that there is a limit as to what we can know ....
I do not believe that there is a limit to what I can know.